Discussion topic: Unrecogned devices

This message was authored by Andy8114 This message was authored by: Andy8114

Unrecogned devices

My wife has been the victim of credit card fraud, one of the companies is refusing to refund her as they are saying it was done from our IP address. Just checked our connected devices and there are two listed we dont recognise. How do I firstly, find more details of these devices and secondly, how do I remove them from our Wifi

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Unrecogned devices

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy8114if your router has a custom password for your Wi-Fi then you can reset the router to bring it back to default and so connect each device you have to see if those unknown devices come back.

If the router is on the default Wi-Fi password the link below will help you change it to something you only know.

https://www.sky.com/help/home/broadband/connecting-to-my-broadband/my-wi-fi-password/articles/find-a... 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Unrecogned devices

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy8114 I don't see how a credit card company would have a deep enough investigation to know a specific IP address of a transaction, let alone know which IP address was assigned to you at the time of the transaction.
Sounds like them making up an excuse to not refund....

Sky as an ISP change your IP address periodically (it's called a dynamic IP address) anyway, so you don't have one assigned to you specifically that last forever 🤔

As for "unknown" connected devices, the only way to kick them off (assuming they're WiFi connected) would be to change your WiFi password. A lot of devices though just don't broadcast the device name, and if that is the case the router just reports it as unknown, so don't assume it's always an erroneous device.
Commonly things like smart speakers, some android phones/tablets/anything smart home related, even smart TV's can all show up as unknown. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion