Discussion topic: Unifi

This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Unifi

Because sky is (Removed) causing problems for the rest of us who want a unifi setup but having experts post negative comments about unifi and the difficulties with it and posting biased comments about skys overall decent security using Skys own (Removed)

I've had to much guacamole

what I meant to say is..SECRETLY YOU HATERS LOVE UNIFI!!

But yeah, I'm going all out on unifi once I get my industrial router. Alta labs I was planning on having turns out to have slow bandwidth and latency issues not to mention technical problems communicating with each other. Unifi don't seem to have this issue and unifi have brought out several new devices that will blow your mind!!! 

(Removed)

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate comments.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Unifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnieFinFin 

Unifi hardware is overkill for the vast majority of domestic settings, and requires administration which most home users would find tedious.  I run around 100 of their devices at work (switches, APs and cameras plus a UDMP) where they are mostly very good: glitchy camera readoption after firmware upgrade is the most regular annoyance.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@FinnieFinFin you are buying a service which is sold for the domestic use of you and your family if you read the contract you accepted. Not totally surprisingly it is not designed or configured to support what is normally regarded as commercial grade equipment you will see similar posts about Cisco kit. There are ISPs who are better at supporting larger networks and provide business grade services..

Forum members including Superusers are customers like yourself and we post from our experience and express our personal opinions. Sky simply decline to support sny routers other than their own which apparently the vast majority of their customers use. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author
This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Good to know

I need to be in control and manage my home lab @TimmyBGood 

i don't have a home lab yet but I'm  getting help from another expert from this community to get me all setup etc

I've read the entire unifi website and Wikipedia and watched YouTube and read Reddit and a few other platforms for a few years now but I'm always hesitant and spooked when I hear or see problem's with unifi that depressingly sets me back and feel not bothering to purchase the tech for what I need.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@FinnieFinFin 

Wow take off the tin foil hat for a moment jeez.

I haven't seen any Sky 'experts' slander UniFi on this forum at all, the most I've seen is comments about how it is often overkill for the average user. However if you are a more advanced user it is more than appropriate to use if you wish. I have setup a full UniFi system in a family members household who has Sky broadband and it works perfectly. Nobody on this forum has ever said don't use UniFi with Sky. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion