Discussion topic: Unifi AP and Sky FTTH 500mb (basic router supplied) -Ireland

This message was authored by Rob40 This message was authored by: Rob40

Unifi AP and Sky FTTH 500mb (basic router supplied) -Ireland

Hey team, I have switched to sky from Eir and am finding the provided router a bit crap when more than one device is connected the latency is terrible and speeds drop right off. I will test mutiple wired devices soon to see if it is just the router or if its the wifi . 

My Question is has anyone added a new wifi 6 unifi ap to it and turned off the ssids on the sky box? if so did it work better? Im just worried that I buy the unifi and the issue is still present, I have an old meraki that AP, I updated to latest firmware and pluged in and it was terrible!! so it has me worried that the provided router is just crap at multi tasking. If so does anyone have any recomenddations for replacments? I work from home and so does my partner so we are doing a lot of video calls and at night streaming hd box sets and playstaion gaming.

Cheers,

Rob

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Unifi AP and Sky FTTH 500mb (basic router supplied) -Ireland

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rob40 I have Sky Ultrafast+ and use a third party wifi Access Point system for wifi. Whether your proposed system will work depends on where the bottleneck is. If you have muktiple simultaenous users playing games or streaming at once the Sky hubs can struggle the symptom being increased latency if that applies you need a third party router with more power adding a better wifi system wont help,there.

The standard SR203 hub is fairly basic and the wifi is limited to Wifi 5 which will provide sufficent wifi bandwidth to access the full 550Mb/s in our main living area but drops to 100Mb/s on other levels. I have a TP-Link Deco M4 system also limited to wifi5 which using 3 units gives me a minimum of 200Mb/s through out my 3 level home. This is ample for my purposes and allows my 4 Sky Stream/Glas units to stream high quality video with no issues.

I have no direct experience of your Unifi ap but a single access point will have the same issues as the Sky hub wiith walls etc. meshbsystems with multiple units are the solution here. Wifi 6 is faster than wifi 5 where the device also supports the standard. In practical terms few apps can use wifi over 200Mb/s let alone need it beyond downloading. The main gain of a faster connection is for multiple devices to work simultaenously.

One last point if you buy online you have 14 days to try the system to see if it works or it can go back under EU regs.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion