Discussion topic: Ultrafast Plus VERY slow

This message was authored by Duffell This message was authored by: Duffell

Ultrafast Plus VERY slow

We have the Broardband ultrafast plus package with 500mb @ £45 a month.

So we're meant to be getting 500mb, i understand this speed is only when connected with an Ethernet lead and that is a max speed and wifi would be about 200-300mb which is fine.

The issue is that we dont get anything like that kind of speed, we're getting 120mb with wifi and you need to be within 10ft of the router and connected with a Ethernet lead is even worse at 45mb (that's not a typo)

Router is in the hallway and basically the centre of the house, unfortunately we don't have Ethernet sockets in every room so manual connection is a no go, even if it did work.

Our Sky Q box is literally 10ft away on the  other side of the wall and this keeps dropping signal, my sons room is at the other side of the house so wifi is like 2mb at best and we even tried running a Ethernet lead through the house up to his PC and he was getting 12mb download speed.

This is beyond a joke, 

All Replies

This message was authored by ArnoldStallone This message was authored by: ArnoldStallone

Re: Ultrafast Plus VERY slow

Hi @Duffell 

May I ask, has the speed always been poor or is this a recent issue?  I'm asking because if you read some of the other posts here it seems that there is some sort of issue at Sky's end that began towards the end of April / start of May and is having a detrimental impact on download speeds.

Duffell
Topic Author

We had years of perfect internet then i made the mistake of upgrading to Sky Glass.

That lasted about 2 weeks before i sent it back and some how ever since we've had nothing but trouble with broardband speed. 

An engineer even said (off the record) this is a common issue and sky dont understand why its happening.

Speeds and connection have been fluctuating for months and Sky tech, Openreach and Sky engineers have absolutly no idea why its doing it.

I even managed to carfully book an Openreach and a Sky engineer for exactly to same time so neither one can blame the other. At one point i had a speed of 980mb then it dropped to 24mb and no one could explain why.

This message was authored by ArnoldStallone This message was authored by: ArnoldStallone

Yeah, I think that is the frustrating part.  If Sky admitted that there was an issue and they were working on it I think that people would have a lot more sympathy and patience - however, they keep trying to tell customers that it is their fault and, understandably, people are getting fed up with this and leaving.

This message was authored by Johnelf1 This message was authored by: Johnelf1

I made the mistake of leaving my old internet line from the phone filter plugged in. Make sure this is unplugged and only like

from ONS box is plugged into a spare Ethernet socket 

Sky Platinum as been with them since day one.
Sky Q, Samsung 65KS8000, Samsung Atmos Soundbar, Oppo 203, Apple TV4K And Ultrafast Plus Broadband Plus.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Johnelf1 wrote:

. Make sure this is unplugged and only like from ONS box is plugged into a spare Ethernet socket 

From ONT to eth4 (WAN) is the only valid configuration for FTTP through a Sky Broadband Hub: the other three ethernet ports will not work for this.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Duffell
Topic Author

That still doesnt explain why i get between 24mb & 65mb when using a Eth cable and much higher speeds from wifi but only at a short distance

If that line from the old phone filter to the box is plugged in, it will be a dramatic decrease in speed! It needs to be unplugged. 

Sky Q, Samsung 65KS8000, Samsung Atmos Soundbar, Oppo 203, Apple TV4K And Ultrafast Plus Broadband Plus.
Duffell
Topic Author

Not sure i understand, I have the openreach box on the wall with 3 connections, fiber input, ethernet to router and power.

The router has power conection, ethernet to openreach box and landline phone input.

There isnt much more to it.

My house is open plan so there isnt even many walls for the signal to try to go through.

Ok sorry hard to text

The landline connection, is that your phone plugged into it or from landline socket to router ? Sorry for asking blatant questions 

Duffell
Topic Author

Our phone plugs straight into the router, Openreach did away with the wall socket for the phone and fitted the Fiber connection socket. sorry dont know the tech names for them.

Ok

may i make a suggestion 

unplug everything from the router except the ons box and power. Re boot the router via unplug and back on. Then do a speed test using your phone.  Leave the landline unplugged from the router !!

I am happy to DM or what ever is easier and quicker but I feel your making the same mistake as I did 🧐

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion