Discussion topic: Third party router bypassing sky hub

This message was authored by dejavu94 This message was authored by: dejavu94

Third party router bypassing sky hub

Hi,

I have a third party router and I want to connect it direct to Open reach box (bypassing my sky hub). Is it doable ? 

Thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Third party router bypassing sky hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dejavu94  Take a look through this forum as there are many threads about this.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

dejavu94
Topic Author

Thanks 

but there is so much experimental information it becomes difficult for a novice like me to navigate to the one that really works. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@dejavu94 short answer for the UK any third party router either needs support for DHCPv4 Option 61 which wotks on all lines and/or support for DHCPv6 PD which works on most but not all lines. Asus routers are popular and support both authentication methods. 

Downsides loss of Sky support - you will have to reinstall Sky hub to get that - and loss of the voice line. Its impossible to make a recommendation without more detail like what you are trying to achieve thst the Sky hub cannot do and some idea of a bubget as routers run from £50 to £300 or more.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
dejavu94
Topic Author

Thank you 🙂

Parental controls and the ability to block/ pause/ time limit a certain application on our children devices WITHOUT the need to pause whole device. That's the only reason we are moving to third party router as they come with more comprehensive parental controls.

Pausing/ unpausing whole device is not going to help as children have their school applications on the same device.

Wifi Max upgrade doesn't help. As per our survey Netgear, Tp Link and ASUS offer such functionality in their parental controls. 

@dejavu94 good reason but did you know the new Sky Wifi Max bundle offers controls to pause/allow connection at a devive level?

When you have decided on the router podt with its model number and brand and someone should be able to  help you get it connected. However none of the parental controls yet invented can be guaranteed to work !00% of the time against a determined kid. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
dejavu94
Topic Author

Thanks 

Tried Wi-Fi max. Like the basic level it does allow pause unpause devices. Nowadays that is a very obsolete function. The moment one device is paused kids come up with papa I need to access school homework. Don't forget all schools now have home, schedule, class activities, meals, etc all applications on mobiles. 

Sky broadband buddy used to pause for example TikTok or YouTube so child is able to access the remaining device. We were very happy with buddy back in 2018-2019. It's a shame it didn't continue.

Now Netgear and Tp link are offering the same function through paid subscription and software linked with their router.

Otherwise I like sky hub it meets our requirements.

I will return once my router gets delivered.

dejavu94
Topic Author

Hi,

I have decided. It is Netgear RAX E300. What settings do I need to configure please ?

Shaz 

@dejavu94 I found this thread which discusses connecting the similar RAX200 there maybe other threads if you use the forum search above.

In essence set up the new router to use DHCP v4 Option61 with a string anything@skydsl|anything the 
 | is a pipe symbol whichh separates the username from the password. You can also add the DHCPv6 PD method as well but the former method works on every Sky line.

dejavu94
Topic Author

Thanks 

The former thread marked with the answered solution ?

dejavu94
Topic Author

IMG_1640.jpeg

I am totally lost not sure where to go in Netgear nighthawk interface. Attaching few snaps if it helps please 

IMG_1639.jpeg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion