Discussion topic: The sky router DHCP is failing to provide IP addresses

This message was authored by StayKing This message was authored by: StayKing

The sky router DHCP is failing to provide IP addresses

For the past 3 months with increasing frequency the Sky router has been failing to provide IP addresses from the DHCP server. This results in devices being disconnected from the router.

Rebooting the server several times used to fix the issue but last Thursday no a amount of reboots would fix it and The SkyQ, Mini and a PC on wi-fi could not connect. I had to leave it until Friday morning when magically it all started working again.

But from this morning the Sky Q and mini box plus phones will not connect (except my Android and the wi-fi enabled PC).

I have been working from home all day today and my pc is directly connected to the router using an Ethernet cable. My sons PC is connected using an AV600 powerline adaptor and we have had solid connections all day.

The Sky Q box is also connected a powerline adaptor. This evening I managed to get the Sky Q to connect to the router but it disconnected after about a minute and will now not reconnect.

I believe my router needs to be replaced but I seems to be impossible to actually speak to a human being using either the chat bot or via the telephone where I am directed to self help pages that are, in my case, useless.

All Replies

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: The sky router DHCP is failing to provide IP addresses

@StayKing  Depending on any custom router settings if needed?

your next step would be to factory reset the router, leave on default settings for 24hrs  & see how thing's go.

Then place a call to sky to report an issue if things haven't improved.

(when performing a factory reset, hold the reset button for at least 20sec, any shorter you run the risk of the router just rebooting)

Your router model /broadband type / router stats / relevant router logs could possibly help the forum to spot any obvious issues if you still need help.

*In case you have a g.fast connection, there are known compatibility issues between powerline devices & the g.fast implementation*

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by jestersdead This message was authored by: jestersdead

I had exactly this happen to me last week while in was on holiday. A handful of devices (across LAN and Wi-Fi) kept their IP addresses ok, but the rest of my kit (c. 20 devices across LAN and Wi-Fi) couldn't get IP addresses and wouldn't connect at all and stayed that way for 8+ days. 

When I got home, power cycling the router, switches, Sky kit and devices didn't solve the problem. Sky tech support got me to do a factory reset as the poster above recommended, which in addition to resetting the network on the Sky Q and minis did solve the problem. But within 8 hours the minis are off the network again however.

I might ask the engineer attending tomorrow for a dish problem to replace the Sky router and TV boxes (3 years old).

Failing that I might come off using Sky altogether and just move to freesat and streaming as the router and Wifi mesh for the last 12 months have been utterly unreliable. Seems crazy given what I pay for Sky but it's just not robust enough for me given the range of IoT devices we now have.

StayKing
Topic Author

I bought a 2nd hand replacement Sky Q router (SR 203) for £20. Its was easier, less time consuming and stressful reconnecting all devices + Sky-Q/Mini boxes than trying to get through the phone system to actually speak to a human and explain the situation and go through their pointless support script.

So far all looks good and appears to be working well (Its only been a week since I switched routers).

This message was authored by jestersdead This message was authored by: jestersdead

Neat idea - I'll go the same route if I think it's the h/w and not the auto updated firmware...

StayKing
Topic Author

I bought the replacement router from eBay. There are quite a few on there when I was looking and most where around £20 including shipping.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StayKing 

A warning that Sky routers are not owned by the customer anymore so any Sky router you buy from eBay is likely to be 'stolen' and Sky may remotely brick it at any time. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion