Discussion topic: Switching to Sky Broadband in-between house move while with Hyperoptic

This message was authored by Chrispiann This message was authored by: Chrispiann

Switching to Sky Broadband in-between house move while with Hyperoptic

Hello,

I live in London and moving outside of the city in a couple of months time to Surrey. I am currently with Hyperoptic and they have been amazing for speed, reliability and customer service - I'm paying 35 a month for 1gb upload and download speeds. Unfortunately the place where I'm moving to only has Openreach lines connected to it, so I'm forced to pick between a handfull of providers all bottlenecked by Openreach's archaic service and speeds. I can't get anywhere near what I get with Hyperoptic right now but Sky offers the best in terms of what you get in addition to your broadband, which makes it stand out above the rest.

So I'm considering joining Sky and I'm not sure if it is the right option for me just yet, so I wanted to ask someone. However Sky doesn't have live chat, or email, and the waiting times on the phone are really long so I guess this is the only place I can ask.
My current contract runs out at the end of this month and I don't move house until the start of September. So I have 2 months of buffer to fill. So I have 2 options either continue on a monthly plan with Hyperoptic which is expensive, or try to join what would be my future broadband provider earlier on my current address and hope that I can move everything across easily when the big move happens in 2 months. So my question is, if I join Sky next month and get one of their broadband deals, how easy is it to then move that to my new house ? - do I have to pay for installation fees again, any other hidden costs? In particular I'm split between picking their fastest broadband speed or their fastest broadband + sky tv. If I do pick the internet + tv deal I'm a bit unsure how the whole skybox situation will work as I've never had a TV box like that (always used Freeview, built-in my smart TV). I like a clean and minimal Tv set up so I don't like the idea of having a billion remotes on the table - so as an extra question I'd like to know is it possible to use your smart TV's remote to operate all of the SKY tv box services that you would normally do on the sky remote? I have a Sony Bravia A90J.

Sorry for the long post, I hope I explained everything well and it's not confusing!

Hope someone can help out with this!

Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Switching to Sky Broadband in-between house move while with Hyperoptic

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrispiann 

If you enter your new full postal address below and post the full table after removing you address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

It would give us an idea of what speed you would get thru any openreach provider

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Chrispiann
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chrispiann This message was authored by: Chrispiann

Hey @cookiemonsteruk 

The house is still being built so the address doesnt exist yet, but I know there is going to be Openreach full fibre available. But that's not my concern. My worry is the massive price hike I'll be paying for essentially getting the same download speed at ~900mb/s but getting only getting a laughable 90 upload - basically paying more and getting less, which is crazy. But that is what it is, unfortunately I'm stuck with Openreach.
I wanted to know how the process would work if I joined early from a different address and then how easy would it be to migrate to my new house later down the line + the sky tv situation I explained above as well.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrispiann wrote:

I'm a bit unsure how the whole skybox situation will work as I've never had a TV box like that (always used Freeview, built-in my smart TV).

Note that it's not a 'skybox': the two Sky television offerings are the Q satellite television system (which requires a satellite dish and associated cabling at the address) or the Sky Glass streaming system which currently mandates the purchase of a Glass television set.

If you're expecting a streaming box similar to BT TV, Sky has no such product in its portfolio (although the Glass puck may become it at some point)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Chrispiann 

Sky makes it easy to move once you are an existing customer. You just ring them at least 2 weeks before you move and they will have everything set up for when you do move in.  

The sky q tv can be used as a means of negotiating the combined price you pay and the sky voice remote will operate the tv functions (the database of tv makes and models make it easy to set up most tv's with the usual numeric code) so the tv remote more or less becomes redundant

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Chrispiann
Topic Author

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk 

re. your first asnwer: Will I be charged for moving?

re. your second: You say the TV remove will become redundant in place of the Sky remote. But I don't want to replace my Sony remote with a Sky remote, I want to do the opposite. I have a Sony home theatre system which I controll through my Sony remote so I don't want to replace anything in my current set-up. What I'd like is to not have to use the sky remote at all - I want my Sony remote to do everything as it does now. For example, my TV has Google TV built into it, so I press a button on my remote and it takes me to that service ( I also have 4 other designated streaming service buttons), can I do something similar for Sky's hub on my Sony remote?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrispiann wrote:

can I do something similar for Sky's hub on my Sony remote?

No, and it's not a Sky 'Hub': that's their name for their broadband router.

Chrispiann
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 
Thanks for clearing that up haha!

Okay in that case a broadband + tv package is not looking very appealing.

Is there ANY way to get higher/matching upload speeds with Sky? Is the 90 really the max?

@Chrispiann wrote:

Is there ANY way to get higher/matching upload speeds with Sky? Is the 90 really the max?

That's all domestic FTTP over Openreach infrastructure will support: beyond that you're looking at leased-line functionality from a business provider at hundreds of pounds per month.

@Chrispiann 

If you're seeking Sky channel access from within your existing hardware setup, that would be through a NowTV subscription into an app on the TV, not a Sky Q satellite or Sky Glass streaming television product.

Chrispiann
Topic Author

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

Sorry if these are silly questions, I've been with Hyperoptic for a long time and haven't had to research into this much. 
Do you know if Openreach are going to get out of the stone age and offer matching speeds on fibre any time soon? 

@Chrispiann 

There should be no charge for the move

If sony remotes are anything like my lg (magic remote ) it operates tv functions and sky q box so i would think the sony remote should be able to do the samething 

@Chrispiann wrote:

Do you know if Openreach are going to get out of the stone age and offer matching speeds on fibre any time soon? 

I'd suggest not, because the leased-line market is too lucrative for them (and BT Wholesale).

It can be done: our business site has a gigabit symetrical leased-line running over Openreach fibre, but the monthly cost is ferocious and the mandatory Cisco router is the size of a London flat.

@Chrispiann 

Perhaps also worth noting that some of the 'challenger' ISPs are too new to have a sustainable business model as yet, and are typically continuing to exist by burning through startup capital.

Chrispiann
Topic Author

That is exactly the thing I can't get my head around. They only offer matching speeds for business and they are stupidly expensive. But how is it that I can get that same offer and speed on a different network for far less money. Seems to me they are intentionally bottlenecking their speeds for the general consumer and only giving full fibre speeds for businesses. I wouldn't mind paying £50-£60 a month for their fastest speed but the fact that the upload is only 90mb/s doesn't make any sense to me. Why can smaller companies with less influence like Hyperoptic, CityFibre and G Network are able to offer 1gb up and down for half the price, but they can't or won't? I have a work from home business which relies heavily on uploading large files and this is going to be a huge inconvenience.

Apologies again if I'm asking silly questions, I'm just curious why this is happening.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion