Discussion topic: Switching off internet at night

This message was authored by Rachel01284 This message was authored by: Rachel01284

Switching off internet at night

Is it possible to turn off the internet at night?  I don't mean just by disconnecting the power to the router.

Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Switching off internet at night

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rachel01284 simple answer is no and consider why that is so. Overnight devices and systems run updates etc which if switched off would run when you need to use the system. The amount of power saved is tiny and despite some conspiracy theories there is no risk from wifi signals.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Rachel01284
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rachel01284 This message was authored by: Rachel01284

Thanks @Chrisee   It was to stop my son from accessing the internet.  

@Rachel01284 there are several ways of doing that but first question is you son tech savy? The reason I ask it is pointless putting in something that he can get round in 5 minutes.

First and best way is to get Sky's Broadband Buddy which comes as part of a £5/mth Broadband Boost bundle. It not only can control his devices on your network it can control his phone as well and is pretty hard to break see Sky Broadband Buddy | Sky Help | Sky.com

You can also set up a block on the hub but it easier to get round for someone who is determined in practice a time switch would be easier and more secure.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Rachel01284
Topic Author

Thanks again @Chrisee   He's very tech-savy!  I have downloaded Broadband Buddy, but for some reason it does not let me remotely 'pause' the wifi which I thought it would with one easy click on my phone.

I do take all his devices away well before bedtime, but occasionally he does find one and that's where I want to be one step ahead!

@Rachel01284 the buddy will only work if you buybthe bundle I mentioned Sky Broadband Boost | Sky Help | Sky.com

Rachel01284
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee I do subscribe to this, so it should work.  I'll read up about it again, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

In the meantime, many thanks for your help.

This message was authored by Boyega This message was authored by: Boyega

Hi,

I have similar issues and wondered if you could help with 'how do I set this up block on the hub'?

This message was authored by leetilbury24 This message was authored by: leetilbury24

I just login to my router and change the password by 1 character and then login and remove it in the morning.

This message was authored by Vic+99 This message was authored by: Vic+99

How do you log into your router? Thanks

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Vic+99 wrote:

How do you log into your router? Thanks

From Sky's  tips:

• Make sure you're connected to your home broadband network
  • Open your browser and type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar.
  • When prompted enter the;
    • username: admin 
    • password: sky or, your WIFI password (case sensitive)
This message was authored by leetilbury24 This message was authored by: leetilbury24

It would be good for sky to add this as a feature in all the hubs that in the admin controls you can set on and off times for the router - much like a pc or Mac.

this way we wouldn't have to mess about with passwords but just simply restrict the times the WiFi is available.

quite puzzled why this isn't something that has been added even now.

@leetilbury24 there are many things Sky could add but as I explained in a reply earlier many devices use the downtime to update and run housekeeping tasks which would then have to run when you need to use them.

That's true but for the purposes of using it domestically surely these updates would be minimal impact, PCs, mobile phone apps and tablet devices and sky Q box!!???

Most of those devices would immediately seek to update first thing in a morning if the device was disconnected from the internet overnight and reconnected in the morning.

In most instances updates would not be able to take place on a PC/laptop/Mac if it were switched off anyway, tablets and mobile phones would simply do it at first available opportunity when connected. So I don't see an issue here, unless I'm missing something?!

For the purposes of business it would be different entirely and I fully get the need for system updates but these would normally be scheduled for out of normal hours operation and would still be dependent on the device being switched on and connected.

if there was a router admin control this would give the families of domestic use the option to reduce children's access to the internet, help them to switch off and aid in helping them to sleep well at night - a problem that this being exacerbated by the internet always being on?!?

currenty we change the password every night to lock use, but would be much easier with a "set and forget" approach!

This message was authored by Mobashra This message was authored by: Mobashra

Hi What do you mean by ADMIN?@Mark39

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion