Discussion topic: Static IP help

This message was authored by Angela09mc This message was authored by: Angela09mc

Static IP help

We have recently switched over to Sky broadband from BT.  Our home CCTV system required a static IP to show on our phones. I know that we can't get a static IP through Sky, without changing to a different ISP, does anyone know of a way to get round this? I'm not techy and our installer is busy and can't help us at the moment but I am really keen to get this working again asap? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Static IP help

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Angela09mc & @TimmyBGood  Sky hubs do in fact support three dynamic DNS services dynDNS.org, noip.com and dyns.cx you set up,an account with one of those and enter the details in the DynamicDNS tab in the Advanced section of your Hub's interface and when your IP address changes the service is told. True static IP addresses being rare beasts these days its how most security cameras are set up.

It is highly likely your BT connection used a similar system with luck you may find you already have an account.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Angela09mc 

Unfortunately there's inherently a degree of techy-ness about any possible solution (short of changing to an ISP which offers fixed public IP).

I suspect what you had on your BT Hub was  Dynamic DNS, I don't think a Sky Hub supports that.

If your camera product can export live video to cloud storage or a cloud service, that should work for remote access even if the dynamic IP assigned to your broadband connection has changed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Angela09mc & @TimmyBGood  Sky hubs do in fact support three dynamic DNS services dynDNS.org, noip.com and dyns.cx you set up,an account with one of those and enter the details in the DynamicDNS tab in the Advanced section of your Hub's interface and when your IP address changes the service is told. True static IP addresses being rare beasts these days its how most security cameras are set up.

It is highly likely your BT connection used a similar system with luck you may find you already have an account.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrisee wrote:

@Angela09mc & @TimmyBGood  Sky hubs do in fact support three dynamic DNS services

After all this time I've never seen a Sky Hub in the actual plastic ; )

I'd have to move twenty miles East or West to use them as an ISP...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Angela09mc 

Unfortunately there's inherently a degree of techy-ness about any possible solution (short of changing to an ISP which offers fixed public IP).

I suspect what you had on your BT Hub was  Dynamic DNS, I don't think a Sky Hub supports that.

If your camera product can export live video to cloud storage or a cloud service, that should work for remote access even if the dynamic IP assigned to your broadband connection has changed.

Sky hubs do support Dynamic DNS and have done all the way back to the old Sagemcom ADSL routers.

The current hubs only support dyndns.org, noip.com and dyns.cx

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion