Discussion topic: Slow internet

This message was authored by gordon.mckenzie1 This message was authored by: gordon.mckenzie1

Slow internet

I appreciate there are lots of discussions on this subject but this problem has been going on for a long time. My partner had very poor speed and upgraded to fibre a couple of years ago. Speed was never brilliant but much better than it was. About a year ago it really dropped off and we organised an Openreach engineer visit. He wasn`t very helpful and quite frankly couldn`t wait to leave. He left without me being 100% happy saying speed to the router was acceptable despite upload being less than 1Mbps. We have lived with that until recently but now download and upload seem to be about half what they were. Can anyone advise on the attached stats before I make the necessary phone call ? Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fs7m3sGdEReCdhoC7

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Slow internet

@gordon.mckenzie1 

The router stats show a solid 31Mbps downstream which is about right, unfortunately, the upstream speed is only 341Kbps which is very poor but not guaranteed by Sky, WIth only that speed upstream it will saturate when downloading at that inferior upstream speed.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
gordon.mckenzie1
Topic Author
This message was authored by gordon.mckenzie1 This message was authored by: gordon.mckenzie1

Thank you for the reply. Is there any indication of a line or equipment fault or is it a case of just phoning Sky? I have reset the router a few times without success but any other help would be appreciated.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@gordon.mckenzie1 

Yep, the upstream is poor it should be at least 1.4Mbps upstream and has a raised noise margin on the upstream of 9dB when it should be 6 dB.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gordon.mckenzie1 

Sky will tell you they (like all ISPs) don't guarantee an outbound speed, but it's perhaps worth noting that the Universal Service Obligation is for 1Mbs upload.  BT is the USO provider though, not Sky or any other ISP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
gordon.mckenzie1
Topic Author

Thanks, that`s useful to know.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion