Discussion topic: Slow Broadband speed

This message was authored by craighardcastle This message was authored by: craighardcastle

Slow Broadband speed

I had sky broadband, giga fast installed in October last year.

The maximum speed that I have seen is 400mbps when connected via laptop using an ethernet cable.

An open reach engineer came out and highlighted that there was a problem but he did not advise what it was.   Hesaid that this would be fixed remotely and to check in a few days to see that the speed had improved. It never did.

I also spoke to another open reach engineer who said that he thought the ONT box was the wrong size.  He was adamant that they fit a bigger box for the faster broadband.

I contacted Skye again with regards to the speed and they said that they could see that the speed coming into the house was correct (1000 mbps)and as a result, following consultation with the technical team, sent me a new router. This has made no difference at all to the speed that I am receiving. With no other devices connected in the house and the laptop connected via ethernet. I am still only getting 400 Mb per second.

My next door neighbour who is with Plusnet, got fit at the same time is getting 900 Mb per second when using the ethernet cable.

I will contact Skye again over this as I am getting frustrated now, but has anybody got any suggestions as to what this could be.   

Thanks in advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Slow Broadband speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@craighardcastle wrote:

I also spoke to another open reach engineer who said that he thought the ONT box was the wrong size.  He was adamant that they fit a bigger box for the faster broadband.

I suspect that's somewhat misleading: Openreach has fitted various models of ONT over the years, and these have got smaller in form factor: early units had multiple ports and even a separate battery backup within the same external enclosure.  All are capable of gigabit WAN and LAN: new models will be 2.5Gbs.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/optical-network-terminal 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@craighardcastle 

It would be useful if you could post the following screenshots for us;

1. A speedtest on your Sky connection using ethernet

2. Your hubs router stats

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
craighardcastle
Topic Author
This message was authored by craighardcastle This message was authored by: craighardcastle

System Up Time: 04:35:00

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN WANoE 718355 1278977 0 43800 50587 04:32:51 LAN Up 607415 259294 0 448168 25601 04:35:00 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 166438 24406 0 17587 0 04:33:18 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 3015575 2298930 0 849671 710075 04:33:05

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 999900 kbps 115000 kbps
craighardcastle
Topic Author

craighardcastle_0-1708434015559.png

craighardcastle
Topic Author

craighardcastle_0-1708434085620.png

@craighardcastle 

Can you try speedtest.net

Also is this direct ethernet from the router to your PC with nothing inbetween such as a bootser, powerline etc?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
craighardcastle
Topic Author

Hi

yes it's a direct Ethernet connection into the router.

im the only person at home today so there is less internet traffic here today.

i did a speed net test earlier but I'm not sure how to copy the image that I saved on my phone to this thread but the stats were 

download 380

upload 111.50

Ping ms 8 ( no sure what the symbol is),  12 (down)  and 53 (up)

@craighardcastle 

To me it looks like a network capacity issue in your area. This may have been what the Openreach engineer was hinting at.

I'll escalate your post to Sky so you can chat with them and hopefully get another engineer booked or Sky's network team to look into it for you. Make sure you use the keyword 'throughput' as your issue since your line data its fine but you are not getting the correct 'throughput' through ethernet.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
craighardcastle
Topic Author

Thanks. You have been really helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to help 🙂

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to @craighardcastle.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you @craighardcastle . If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
craighardcastle
Topic Author

Thanks Lisa

i spoke to someone at sky and they sent an Openreach engineer out today.

The engineer  changed the ONT to a 2.5gig one but this made no difference to the speed I get as he suspected it wouldn't.

Sky closed my query as resolved off the back of the visit.  Not sure why there isn't a check with the customer first to see if it's been resolved first?

i have just spoken again to sky who have again escalated this.

per this thread and the Openreach engineer they all think it's throughput .

If it's not resolved off the back of the escalation I'll move providers as my neighbours with plusnet and BT are getting the advertised speeds (not just the minimum guarantee speeds)

having checked, this has been ongoing now since July 23 with 3 engineer visits.  I hadn't realised how long this had been an issue as I've been particularly busy at work!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion