Discussion topic: SkyBroadband Ultra Fast Plus

This message was authored by DominicJ25 This message was authored by: DominicJ25

SkyBroadband Ultra Fast Plus

I initially got SkyBroadband Ultra Fast Plus about 3 months ago and it was great constant 500mbs received to the router and good stability for gaming. From the 500mbs received from the HUB directly from speedtests it was reduced to 300mb upstairs for a gaming PC which I was fine with. It also had a stable ping of around 20ms with low to none existent jitter. 

As of week commencing 15/08/22 it has been utter garbage to put it lightly. The speedtest from the hub has dropped from 500mb to around 380/200mb which is below the GUARANTEED 400mb minimum at peak time. When I bought this package it was the top package so I expect more. On top of this the speed now for the gaming PC (upstairs) is barely 100mb with a terrible fluctuating ping of 30-80ms. As anyone with gaming knowledge will know this is terrible and unplayable. I pay a lot of money for this product and its barely meeting 25% speed that I pay for and isn't reliable.

I have done all typical troubleshooting and would like to skip these steps if possible and It is in correct setup mode as setup by the SKY ENGINEER who installed it 3 months ago. I would like to speak to a technical Sky Broadband expert about this and have possible line checks for static DB / or cabinet checks or exchange checks. Many thanks Dominic.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SkyBroadband Ultra Fast Plus

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DominicJ25 wrote:

On top of this the speed now for the gaming PC (upstairs) is barely 100mb with a terrible fluctuating ping of 30-80ms. As anyone with gaming knowledge will know this is terrible and unplayable. I pay a lot of money for this product and its barely meeting 25% speed that I pay for and isn't reliable.

Judging from your first paragraph where you say "From the 500mbs received from the HUB directly from speedtests it was reduced to 300mb upstairs for a gaming PC which I was fine with "  I'm assuming that this PC is on WiFi, in which case you need to understand that no speed at all is 'guaranteed' for that, and that you're paying for speed delivered to the Hub, not beyond it.

If speed arriving at the Hub is below the guaranteed minimum then you can insist Sky book Openreach to investigate, although this is made harder when a Hub behind an ONT does not display a speed at all (which is typical for FTTP.

If you read other posts here you'll see several about similar symptoms of apparently reduced Hub speed over FTTP, which we're told Sky is investigating.  Issues with WiFi within a property are beyond the remit of an ISP, particularly as Hub speeds increase.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion