Discussion topic: Sky wifi transmitting wifi 5 even though it's switched off

This message was authored by Brighthelmstone This message was authored by: Brighthelmstone

Sky wifi transmitting wifi 5 even though it's switched off

We have a Sky Q router (SR203) and a repeater (SE210) on the landing so the kids can get their precious Netflix in bedrooms.

We tried wifi 5 in the past but our Victorian walls objected!   So we have 5 disabled on the router and just use 4,  which works fine for us.

So why is it that I can still see a wifi 5 signal that pops up about every five minutes and then disappears?    It's defiantly emanating within our house as the SSID is the same as our wifi 4.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky wifi transmitting wifi 5 even though it's switched off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Brighthelmstone 

You appear to be confusing 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi frequency bands with Wifi 5 (802.11ac) and WiFi 4 (802.11n) standards.  These are not the same thing: both the items of hardware you mention are 802.11ac whether or not the 5Ghz SSID is disabled.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Brighthelmstone
Topic Author
This message was authored by Brighthelmstone This message was authored by: Brighthelmstone

I see what you mean about WiFi 4 & 5.

To clarify,  I have an intermittent 5GHz signal being transmitted by the Sky devices even though only 2.4GHz is enabled.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Brighthelmstone do you have Sky Q TV boxes as these act as dualband wifi hot spots while you can turn off the 5GHz band on ezch box by going into the engineer's menu - navigate to settings enter 0,0,1 before select - it is not recommended as you are likely to cause issues with the connection if any Q mini boxes to the main box.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Brighthelmstone
Topic Author

We don't have any mini boxes. I have turned off 2.4 & 5 WiFi on our Sky Q box.

So the only devices that should be transmitting is the router and extender. One of them is putting out 5GHz.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Brighthelmstone How is the booster connected? It could be you are picking up its Wi-Fi back haul to the router which is why it keeps disappearing if it's not connected via Ethernet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
Brighthelmstone
Topic Author

The router and repeater are connected via Ethernet cable.

Brighthelmstone
Topic Author

I wanted to post what I found out about this question for anyone else who reads this post in future.

I found that the Sky wifi repeater transmits an intermittant 5GHz wifi signal all the time. This still happens when 5GHz is disabled on the  Sky Q router (SR203) and a repeater (SE210). It also happens when all devices are physically connected via ethernet cable.

I can only assume the repeater is constantly 'looking' for new Sky devices to connect to.

In my opinion, this is bad practice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion