Discussion topic: Sky hub as just a modem.

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Sky hub as just a modem.

If I want to use the sky hub as just a modem, what should I do, disable most settings and give the hub a ip address?

I then want to use a asus ax82u.

Plug cable in to wan port and enable dchp and put in range of sky hub?

Not done this before so after some notes before hand.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: Sky hub as just a modem.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TrebleTA 

Sadly there isn't a modem only mode on any Sky Hub. You could put the Asus in AP mode and then just disable the Wi-Fi on the Sky Hub.

What package are you on, FTTC (including G.fast) or FTTP? 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Hi in on FTTC and no g.fast, I'm trying to put it in like a bridge mode, so I'd disable wifi disable dchp. Assign say a ip of 192.168.2.1. Then enter DMZ and put 192.168.2.2 being the asus router?

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TrebleTA 

A Sky Hub is a router, and will route traffic no matter which other settings you switch off.  By definition that means it cannot be just a modem/bridge.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Aye that is correct,  Sky allow 3rd party, yet do all in there power to make things trouble.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TrebleTA 

If you are on sky superfast fttc at around £35 you could try the tp link td w9970 modem bridge

Instructions for setting up tp link td w9970 as modem bridge

select sky vdsl from isp list

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
TrebleTA
Topic Author

I have all this on my asus dsl ax82u, releases in the last year an abit, so could be that, am on to asus at mo.

But since I had a outage some weeks back my net is not correct, so want to keep isp device up so they can see. Yet know the sky hub can not handle 50 devices so need to use the asus.

This message was authored by DolmanDF5 This message was authored by: DolmanDF5

Would I be able to get the username and password from Sky, then I could plug my Déco wifi system directly into the box on the wall.?

TrebleTA
Topic Author

If you look at other posts yes the username is normaly 1234abcd@skydsl|abcd1234

Under option mer 61.

The way I've done this is so i can still use the VOIP phone sky provide via there hub. E.g landline

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@DolmanDF5 

The Deco wifi mesh isn't compatible with DHCP Option 61 but you could try DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (PD) which works on 80% of Sky broadband exchanges. See this link for instructions on setting up DHCPv6 PD https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2642/ 

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by StuXxxxx This message was authored by: StuXxxxx

You could try this…

Sky router settings

DHCP off.

Router itself set to static IP of 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24

DMZ host set to 192.168.0.2 (stops double NAT) or port forwarding rule (name ANY-ANY, from ports 1 through to 65535, TCP/UDP)

Turn off both WIFI bands in favor of own router.

Own router settings

Router itself on static IP of 192.168.1.1

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24

EWAN on and set to fixed IP of 192.168.0.2

Gateway set to 192.168.0.1

DNS set to 192.168.0.1

EWAN socket on own router connected to LAN port on ISP router.  (Will not work using DSL port on own router).

(May need ISP username and password.  Also needs IGMP turned on for any TV box).

I used a very similar setup years ago, to go through a BT Hub 5, when FTTC/VDSL first appeared and I was still using a Billion 7800, (ADSL only).  Worked fine for 18 months until I got round to replacing the Billion.

TrebleTA
Topic Author

For a double nat setup I have this guide.

Double-NAT-Setup-Guide 

But I would only use it if you need a sky phone VOIP or your modem can not do the option mer 61.

This message was authored by Warzilla This message was authored by: Warzilla

@StuXxxxxI have the same setup, but neither DMZ nor port forwarding works for me.

I have FTTP -> Sky Broadband Hub -> UDM Pro.

Everything worked with Sky Hub and DSL, I've got fiber and upgraded to Sky Broadband Hub, and cannot get access my network from outside. LAN to WAN works like a treat.

I could connect UDM Pro directly to ONT box, but the Boradband Hub comes with cellular backup I would like to use.

Any ideas how to investigate it further? I've already reset the hub several times. Starting to wonder if I have a defective firmware...

This message was authored by StuXxxxx This message was authored by: StuXxxxx

What are you trying to access from outside your LAN?  Don’t forget you may need a port forward on your own router, the same as if you were using that directly connected to the internet.

This message was authored by Warzilla This message was authored by: Warzilla

I have port forwarding set up on UDM Pro.

I've just noticed that despite Sky Broadband Hub firewall being disabled I can still FW.LAN2SELF DROP in logs. DMZ configuration works when I connect from outside my LAN, but the hub is blocking all the connection from within LAN.

Example: My PC -> UDM Pro -> SKY Hub [drops here] -> www.my-custom-domain.com (DuckDNS) -> SKY Hub -> UDM Pro -> My Server

This worked perfectly fine with Sky Hub.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion