Discussion topic: Sky fibre slow

This message was authored by watchtv123 This message was authored by: watchtv123

Sky fibre slow

Just had sky full fibre installed I've done a speed  test via sky app and it states the hub is connected at 150 Mps but a speed test on my phone which is connected to the router at over 800 MPs is only showing 50 Mbps 

Can any shed some light in why this is 

Thanks 

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: Sky fibre slow

@watchtv123 

Nope, the wireless mesh will always operate on all the frequency channels it needs but connecting the cable will reduce the throughput requirement for that access point over wireless but the way the wireless mesh works not by much, unfortunately.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@watchtv123 

What broadband service are you subscribed to and can you post the router stats, please?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@watchtv123 speeds on new fibre installs often take up to 24 hiurs to achieve the full speed. This is due to a change Sky havecto apply at their end after the Openreach work completes. If speeds are still down this morning run a speed test over ethernet if possible. If they are still down it needs raising with Sky. Wifi speed tests are assumed to be untrustworthy hence the suggestion to use ethernet. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
watchtv123
Topic Author
This message was authored by watchtv123 This message was authored by: watchtv123

I've just tried the Google speedtest by measurement lab and  it's at 150mbs  but the speed test app showed it at 54mbs I'll look at the router stats once I remember my password 

watchtv123
Topic Author

Also I have a booster in the loft would connecting this via a cable to the hub free up some WiFi air space ?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@watchtv123 

Nope, the wireless mesh will always operate on all the frequency channels it needs but connecting the cable will reduce the throughput requirement for that access point over wireless but the way the wireless mesh works not by much, unfortunately.

-------

watchtv123
Topic Author

1000008204.jpg

Are these the correct stats ?

@watchtv123 

They are good enough to see that you are on a G.fast connection to the cabinet at 159.990Mbs downstream and 30Mbps upstream. G.fast takes about 10 days to settle. And it isn't full-fibre it is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC).

-------

watchtv123
Topic Author

That seems a bit nauty what's the point !! does it actually make a difference instead of copper to the cab ?

@watchtv123 

It is marketing they can describe it as fibre when it is G.fast in marketing terms when in fact it is fibre to the cabinet which is close to your premise and copper for less than 250 metres. Full fibre requires an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) installed in the premises and fibre laying to the premises which you don't have in your case.

-------

watchtv123
Topic Author

So it's not fibre to the exchange then? how can it be faster if it's not fibre all the way ?

@watchtv123 

The maximum speed for G.fast with Sky is 160Mbps downstream and 30Mbps upstream. So in throughput terms, you should get about 140Mbps downstream and 28Mbps upstream. G.fast is usually pretty reliable I've found but some people have run into issues with ethernet homeplugs because these use the same spectrum as G.fast and they interfere with each other.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion