Discussion topic: Sky Wifi Mesh Problem

This message was authored by davec220 This message was authored by: davec220

Sky Wifi Mesh Problem

Hi, I have Sky Q and Sky broadband and I'm having an issue where as I move around the house I lose Internet connectivity. I've had this for a good while now and contacted Sky about a year ago and they had me do a factory reset which seemed to work for a few weeks.

It's not that the mobiles or tablets (both android and apple brw) disconnects as they still have all WiFi bars and says it's connected but any websites I try to connect to say there's no connection. I've tried a speedtest app, same thing 'check your connection'. Sometimes the mobile or tablets says 'connected without Internet' but not always. My workaround is to switch WiFi off and on again and then its fine until I move to another location. Just bought a brand new mobile phone and it's exactly the same so must be something with the Sky wifi mesh.

I realise it's connecting to a different part of the mesh as I move around the house but surely this should be pretty seamless. I've tried a full router reset back to factory conditions again but it's made no difference.

Also, my Epson printer becomes unavailable from mobiles and tablets at times and I have to reconnect the printer to the router even though the printer says it is already connected. The printer is about 2 metres away from the router. Miraculously I can then see the printer on the phones and tablets.

So, my setup is; Sky Broadband Router SR203, Sky Q box 2gb, Sky Q booster. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz are synchronised. I've had the router and Q box pretty much since they were first available so they are getting on a bit.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions please?

Screenshot_20230806_142110_Chrome.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Wifi Mesh Problem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davec220 there is nothing wrong with your connection from the hub to the internet. Wifi mesh issues with Sky Q are not uncommon. You have 3 network nodes the hub the Q box and the booster you dont mention any Sky Q minis so I assume you dont have any. The first thing I would check is the booster assuming the Qtv box is connecting properly. 

You devices will automatically roam to the strongest signal from a node in the area not to the one with the best internet connection. If your booster is too far from the other nodes it can lose its connection back to the hub. I would experiment with moving the booster roughly half way between the hub and where you need the signal. 

Hope thst helps.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
davec220
Topic Author

@Chrisee thanks for the quick reply, it's really appreciated. Of course I'm connected fine when this screenshot was taken. I wouldn't be able to connect to the router when the problem occurs, that's the frustration!

No Sky minis, just those 3 I've listed. That's the thing; all my devices don't seem to roam to the strongest signal, not always though, it's intermittent which makes things more difficult to understand.

I'll try and get some more screenshots whilst the problem occurs and report back.

I'd have thought the printer seemingly being connected but actually not might have been a help tbh?

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@davec220 You say you have a Q booster, which type of booster is it, as there are different versions that match the main router. As you have the SR203, you should have the matching SE210 which just looks like a smaller version and it's white. It sounds like you might not, so the mesh isn't working as a "mesh", instead the booster is broadcasting WiFi signal, but it's not linked back to the router, hence all your devices say no connection. 

If you have the older one that looks like a Sky Q box, they're not compatible with the newer router and Sky should give you the matching replacement. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
davec220
Topic Author

@JPR007, thanks and yes it's a matching SE210. I did have a Sky mini instead but it's no longer needed and saves me a few pennies of course 😉 . I had the same issue before I had the booster so it's not that 🤔.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@davec220 your problem is definitely in your home network not with your connection to the internet as the WAN shows it has been connected for 344 hours. You have oone of the best FTTC connections I have seen posted.

There are a tools you can use to trouble shoot the network first is an app called Wiifi Analyzer that shows the signal strength and channel of all networks in range it works on Android and windows but not unfortunately ios. Sky's engineers use it themselves you need a signal of -70dBm  or better to reliably link a Q node (note the minus sign so -60dBm is higher than -70dBm). On ios devices yoou have to use Apple's Airport Utility set to wif scanning which dies the job but you dont get the easy to understand graphics, 

Wifi is subject to interference which the apps can't see. When you lose connectivity check if another appliance is in use also keep any wireless kit like DECT cordless phones, wireless speakers etc a few feet from the hub. Its also worth trying to re-position the nodes so they are away from things that can block signals so not under anything metal and ideally higher than radiators. 

In my own home which has a layout that is unfriendly to wifi I found to reliably connect my main Q box I needed to use a powerline adapter kit which uses the mains wiring to carry the signal . That both inproved TV downlosd speeds but also greatly improved the wifi speeds the box coukd provide.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
davec220
Topic Author

@Chrisee thanks again for your comprehensive reply. Yes the cabinet is only about 20m from our property so we get really good broadband speeds.

We too are very limited with where the equipment can be located. The router is located upstairs at one corner of the house (that's where the master socket is) and the Q box is at the opposite corner of the house downstairs. The booster is in a bedroom above the Q box and is as close to halfway between router and Q box as I can get it. It is closer to the Q box though. We have no issues whatsoever streaming UHD programmes. I have the TV & Sonos surround system connected via powerline adapters to avoid wifi clashes. I've had WiFi Analyser for a while trying to help myself with the problem.

So, this morning I came in and sat with a coffee watching Sky. Tried to access Sky News app on my mobile and had no Internet connectivity. My mobile says it is connected but WiFi Analyser says no Internet access. Signal is good though at  -57dBm. My tablet is working fine though but it hasn't been removed from the room so hasnt switched nodes. I switched WiFi off and on again in my mobile settings and it's now working perfectly. I just can't understand why this happens.

I have taken some screenshots, I don't know if they will help though. 

Screenshot_20230807_102913_WiFi Analyzer~2.jpgScreenshot_20230807_102519_Settings~2.jpgScreenshot_20230807_103633_Sky News~2.jpg

This message was authored by Micits This message was authored by: Micits

Hi,

Have you found any solution for your problem as i am experiencing same issue with new wifi max router and pod.

davec220
Topic Author

Hi @Micits,

Yes managed to sort it so it's pretty much perfect now. It seems that the booster was too close to the q box. I sorted out a power supply as close to half way between the router hub and sky q box and I've had no further issues. Hope that helps.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion