Discussion topic: Sky Stream Pucks tcp/udp connections question

This message was authored by IHateSteps This message was authored by: IHateSteps

Sky Stream Pucks tcp/udp connections question

Yes - I know this question should perhaps be in another area, but it is network related and not service!

I have recently migrated to Sky FTTP and to a Sky Stream package with four pucks in different rooms of my bungalow.  I have come from Virginmedia where I had my router in modem mode, and was more than happy apart from price rises and slightly more expensive tv pricing.

I have managed, with help from others, to emulate my Virgin setup, with my own pfsense firewall configured in the SR203 DMZ setting.  I have three TP-Link EAP devices connected across a wired network of three TP-Link managed switches, providing for a pretty good home network setup, combined with a 'homelab'.

I now wish to best configure my network to gain the best from my streaming devices, using either QOS or even VLANS to prioritise streaming devices. If all else fails I will resort to netflow/softflow - but I'd prefer not to go there at the moment.  Hence my question:

What tcp/udp ports are used by the Sky Stream Devices?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Stream Pucks tcp/udp connections question

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@IHateSteps 

I don't recall anyone ever posting that information, and it's not the kind of thing Sky publishes.

Frankly with a gigabit LAN and the kind of speed FTTP can deliver, applying QoS to the 30Mbs (at most) which a Stream puck can use is almost certainly unnecessary.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky Stream Pucks tcp/udp connections question

@IHateSteps 

Usually streaming services use HTTPS.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion