Discussion topic: Sky Max Hub

This message was authored by Essexbleu This message was authored by: Essexbleu

Sky Max Hub

Changed to the Msx hub yesterday and my connection is worse. I have reset everything, changed the password, lowered the security settings and still terrible. Speed test showing 28mps download and it is so poor. Streaming programs are constantly buffering and unwatchable and I had several Teams calls I had to abandon.

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky Max Hub

@Essexbleu 

Contrary to popular belief Sky Max does not improve signal strength around the house it improves only signals that use 5Ghz with the 802.11ax standard for additional speed. Sky Max does allow the addition of Sky Max Pods to improve coverage and the Sky Max Pods are only 802.11ac standard.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Essexbleu
Topic Author
This message was authored by Essexbleu This message was authored by: Essexbleu

Thanks just a shame that's not how Sky advertise it and the issues relate to streaming through my Sky Q box so you would think they would ensure compatibility of there products. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Essexbleu the range of the Sky Max hub is roughly the same as Sky's earlier Broadband Hub as it uses the same output power, which is llimited by regulation, and design of aerials. However it is designed to work with extender pods which can come as part of the Wifi max bundle. If you pay for that Sky will send out one pod if you call them if you still hit issues then they will arrange for a broadband engineer to visit who can authorise another 2 pods. 

The resultant up to 4 unit mesh system should give decent coverage in quite large homes and is triband so the backhaul traffic between the pods and the hub does not use the same signal as your devices. However like most Wifi6 systems the spedd relies on the higher frequency 5GHz band which is less able to penetrate solid walls etc which can make networking older properties a pain.

Sky Q is getting very old in networking terms and is no longer being actively developed as it looks like satellite broadcasting has a limited life. However Sky Wifi Max is now offered to customers with a main Q box and up to one Q mini customers with more Q minis or boosters will have to wait a little longer. The issue is the proprietry networking Q uses being difficult to integrate with modern routers.  You hit similar issues if you use a third party wifi mesh system in place of your Sky hub.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion