Discussion topic: Sky Max Hub No Connection

This message was authored by SophieG1 This message was authored by: SophieG1

Sky Max Hub No Connection

Around 2pm today I noticed my WiFi had stopped. Checked my PC ethernet connection, also no internet connection. Checked my Sky Max Hub and can see a slow blinking green light.

Ran multiple broadband tests through the app and it came back with there being a possible issue with my home setup. My home setup has not changed since getting Sky. 

After using the multiple help pages on the App I finally managed to find a contact number for Sky. Multiple tests over the phone with Sky, still no resolution.

I have been told I need to wait for the "Network team" to run a test within the next 72 hours.  Which will again show that there is no issue with the connection but an issue with my home setup that has not changed since being a Sky customer. This is not good enough. I work from home, I depend on being connected. 3 days with no internet is simply absurd! 

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, and if so what was done to fix this?

I cannot afford to go out and buy a 3rd party router right now, but I need to be connected! 

Best Answers
SophieG1
Topic Author
This message was authored by SophieG1 This message was authored by: SophieG1 Answer

Re: Sky Max Hub No Connection

@Nic63 Not sure how far you've gone with this but we have managed to resolve the issue ourselves. 

In regards to the issue I was having, we eventually turned off our ONT box for 5 minutes. Once turning it back on the internet came back up within half hour. We have had one drop since, that lasted less than 1 minute, but it has now been stable for the last 10 minutes. 

Unfortunately where our ONT was showing the correct lights, it was assumed the issue was with the router so we were not adviced to turn off the ONT box itself.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SophieG1 

If going 3 days without broadband is absurd to you then you are with the wrong ISP. No domestic ISP guarantees 100% uptime and most faults will take 3-5 days to resolve once reported.

If you require a 24/7 connection for your work then you should be paying for a business line with cellular backup. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
SophieG1
Topic Author

In a day and age where it is common to have a large number of remote workers, I do think it's absurd.

When I'm told by Sky "I don't want to leave you without internet", to then go ahead and do exactly that, a small amount of frustration is completely plausible. 

But thank you for your input.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SophieG1 

I am not sure what you want Sky to do in this instance? Even if they actioned immediately and sent a new router or engineer you are still going to be without broadband for a couple days at least because you would need to wait for the router to be posted or Openreach availability in the diary. 

Yes its not great considering a lot of people WFH these days but at the same time anyone who does WFH should either have an option to go into the place of work when this kind of thing happens, or if not their company or they should be paying for a connection that ensures they are kept online. At the end of the day Sky is a budget domestic ISP which does not guarantee the uptime in their T&Cs so complaining about it wont help.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SophieG1 

No domestic ISP guarantees continuous connectivity: that's simply impossible given the nature of the UK cabled telecoms network.  They also can't offer a fault response time faster than the national network maintainer offers them for the very small daily rate we've all got used to paying.

For working from home it's preferable to use an ISP which has failover to cellular connection as an additional cost option, which is what I do here.  The BT Hub stats tell me it's kicked in twice over the past couple of years, but no-one noticed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Nic63 This message was authored by: Nic63

Yes I have the exact same issue. Can you tell me what the number you used is please as I cannot find it online

SophieG1
Topic Author

Hi @Nic63 

Of course, I can't actually send the full phone number in here, but hopefully this makes sense: 0344 241 0triple3

Might be worth mentioning that I've just found the Firmware version listed as the current one on their website, no longer matches the one I have on my router. Might just be a case of the webpage not updating but might also be a related issue 🙂

I hope you have better luck than I have!

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Nic63 you can find numbers for Sky quite easily by following the contact us links on esch web page or by looking at the documents they sent you which are stored in the My Sky app. If desperate simply search for Sky custmer services ysing a search engine but only use numbers starting 03 to avoid rip of call forwarding companies. Easiest and cheapest is dialling 150 on your Sky Talk line which gives you a free call.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
SophieG1
Topic Author
This message was authored by SophieG1 This message was authored by: SophieG1 Answer

@Nic63 Not sure how far you've gone with this but we have managed to resolve the issue ourselves. 

In regards to the issue I was having, we eventually turned off our ONT box for 5 minutes. Once turning it back on the internet came back up within half hour. We have had one drop since, that lasted less than 1 minute, but it has now been stable for the last 10 minutes. 

Unfortunately where our ONT was showing the correct lights, it was assumed the issue was with the router so we were not adviced to turn off the ONT box itself.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion