Discussion topic: Sky MTU 1534?

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Sky MTU 1534?

So I've noticed that you can set the Sky's MTU to 1534, is this a glitch?

Also doing a DNS check, I've noticed 1-2 of these sites that also report MTU say its 1486?

It's set at the default 1500, but its how I noticed the above.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Sky MTU 1534?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TrebleTA 

MTU - Maximum Transmission Unit is set to 1500 allowing devices to select up to that value. My series x xbox selects 1492 . A value higher than that could be a glitch and may affect the size that the packets are received im. @mae-3 may understand the repercussions better than me

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TrebleTA 

The packet sizes greater than the gateway attached will cause fragmentation, this will be seen as speed reduction and packet loss. It must be set to 1500 being the most common size across all networks.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

I thought it should not go over 1500 so strange, I have tried 1534 and have 0% packet loss. Also why are sites reporting that skys MTU is 1486 when I've set 1500 or 1534?

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TrebleTA 

Can you see any increase in performance or any impact using 1534, it is likely being set upstream to 1500 anyway so any different setting won't make any difference with Sky Hub. The network is 1486 on some older networks and 1500 on almost every network in the world.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

So I tested via ping for the mtu, mine is 1472, then plus 28 so 1500.

But it's the fact skys device can go over 1500 so its a glitch.

Thanks for the advice 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion