Discussion topic: Sky Internet Speed After 2 months "Slowed Down" - Is this how it typically works?

This message was authored by eniorodriig This message was authored by: eniorodriig

Sky Internet Speed After 2 months "Slowed Down" - Is this how it typically works?

I've recently moved to a new flat about 4-5 months a go, unfortunently the only Service available was Sky Superfast broadband, which is relatively low speeds but unfortunently that's all we have for now available.

My concern is that during the "cancellation timeframe" upon installing Sky, the internet was suprisingly better than i expected. My speed to the line was 78mb/s reported on Sky's website through their speed check, and testing this on Download Speed websites using Ethernet cable, i was averaging almost 75mb/s , downloading large files from good servers would top me at around 9-10mb/s constatly.

About two or more weeks a go my internet dropped out of the blue, now i get constant 55-60mb/s on downloading testing tools, and downloading large files will rarely pass 5mb/s. Going to Sky's website and using their tools shows that my speeds to the line have dropped from 78mb/s to 64mb/s, this is a 13mbs difference which in the real world it's really showing, if my partner is watching 4k hdr Netflix it will terribly slow down other services which never used to.

It seems that this might be a line issue, but as we know Openreach will never fix it unless an issues on the line is reported. I've called Sky and they've confirmed the drop of my speeds but say no issues on the line are reported or shown therefore too bad, it is what it is and i cannot do anything about it.

I find it funny that as soon as my cancellation period ends, my speeds dropped and wondered if anyon has any advise?

Capture.PNG

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky Internet Speed After 2 months "Slowed Down" - Is this how it typically works?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@eniorodriigCould you run the broadband test again please, but this time click on " Tell me more about my connection " and post the speed you are supposed to get between and the minimum speed. Is your upload speed also effected?

How many times a day is your connection dropping out?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
eniorodriig
Topic Author
This message was authored by eniorodriig This message was authored by: eniorodriig

Re: Sky Internet Speed After 2 months "Slowed Down" - Is this how it typically works?

Hi,

My connection has dropped about two weeks a go or so from a line speed of 78mbs to 64mbs, it has been this way every since. It falls within the minimum guranteed speed but has affected the download speeds and usage quite a lot, which im struggling to understand why such a big drop. I also get a warning on Sky App advising that my speed could be faster. Uploade speeds haven't been affected.

Estimated upload speed: 20 Megabits per second

Normally available download speed 55 - 73 Mb/sN

Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed: 49 Mb/s
eniorodriig
Topic Author

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@eniorodriig Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

eniorodriig
Topic Author

@Highlinder  

Thanks. Please find details below. Kindly note that I've just restarted the router before grabbing these.

----------

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time

WAN MER 3333 3866 0 5693 4926 00:03:09

LAN Up 1906 1532 0 1004 162 00:05:12

WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 546 0 0 588 0 00:03:28

WLAN (5 GHz) Up 5814 3322 0 571780 22454 00:03:27

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 66168 kbps 20000 kbps

Line Attenuation D1(10.6 dB) , D2(24.2 dB) , D3(37.4 dB) U0(3.2 dB) , U1(18.0 dB) , U2(28.3 dB)

Noise Margin 6.2 dB 7.9 dB

Screenshot_20221012-180226_Chrome.jpg

@eniorodriigCould you please come back with more uptime on the router and do not re-start it after a drop. This way we can see any possible issues. Would say that from your Line auttention that you should be on a higher speed.

Just want to see if the downstream noise margin goes higher as this might show a fault on the line and the reason for the drop in speed that you are having.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@eniorodriig 

Your stats show you are running on a 6dB noise margin, this is the normal level and the speed you get at this value is the expected speed for your line. What I suspect happened was when your line was first activated DLM (Dynamic Line management) put your line on the optimised speed profile which is a 3dB margin, this allows for a higher top speed but can compromise stability if the line isnt perfect. DLM has obviously detected drops and/or errors on the line so moved the profile to the balanced state which is a 6dB margin and slightly lower speed.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this, DLM is a completely automatic process and Sky has no control over it and unless your speed falls below the guaranteed value Openreach wont accept it as a fault. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion