Discussion topic: Sky Hub replacement to work with Google Wifi

This message was authored by bluefoxtoo This message was authored by: bluefoxtoo

Sky Hub replacement to work with Google Wifi

I have a Sky SR203 router (with wifi disabled) with Google wifi. I experience quite a few drop outs and am trying to troubleshoot (resisting just throwing Google wifi Pro in the bin just yet but it's getting close!).

I have read here about the Sky Hub causing Double NATing that can cause drop outs (especially with gaming). To rectify this, I would need to put the Hub into Bridge Mode...and the Sky Hub doesn't allow that. So, in order to still use my Google Wifi Pro mesh I would need to buy an alternative Modem to replace the Sky Hub and configure in Bridge Mode to work with Google Wifi Pro. So I think I've understood it all so far?

Where I start to get confused is understanding what I need to buy and how I need to configure. Under "Broadband Type" under the statistics I see "MER", Modem traffic Type is "PTM" and I think it's just copper wire broadband at the moment (they are laying fibre locally to fingers crossed).

So...firstly, am I correct in my assumptions?

Secondly...can anyone help me understand what I could buy to replace the Sky Hub but keep Google Wifi?

Thanks 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky Hub replacement to work with Google Wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bluefoxtoo 

Have you confirmed that the drop outs are not down to your actual line rather than the WiFi?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
bluefoxtoo
Topic Author
This message was authored by bluefoxtoo This message was authored by: bluefoxtoo

I *think* so. It's hard to 100% know the cause as it's intermittent but the Google WiFi app reports if it loses internet and it's only the end devices themselves that seem to suffer. I've had it where a few devices at a time will stop but others are ok.

So, it feels like it's probably a few things going on but my first troubleshooting step was to get rid of the double NATing.

@bluefoxtoo 

Okay, well the problem is that Google WiFi does not support DHCP Option 61 which is required to connect to a Sky line. This means using a modem isn't really going to help you unless you can authenticate via IPv6 PD which is supported on around 80% of lines. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
bluefoxtoo
Topic Author

Ah ok, I thought that's why I needed a modem that supported DHCP option 61. So we're saying that if my line doesn't support ipv6 PD then I can't use Google WiFi with sky without double NATing?

How do I check that?

bluefoxtoo
Topic Author

Don't suppose anyone else has any help? My family is about to disown me if I can't fix this 😄

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@bluefoxtoo wrote:

Don't suppose anyone else has any help? My family is about to disown me if I can't fix this 😄

Don't believe all you read about double NAT; if implemented correctly.

But first, what type of disconnect are you experiencing? Is it a WiFi disconnect or does WiFi remain connected but disconnect from the Internet.

The first thing when using double NAT is to make sure the subnets for your home network and the small subnet between the Sky Hub and the Google Home are not overlapping.

bluefoxtoo
Topic Author

Hi @Eeeps ...thanks for responding.

My set up is:

• Sky Hub: SR203 on default IP (192.168.0.1).
  • Sky Hub: Wifi Access Point Disabled (fior both 2.4 and 5)
  • Sky Hub: Fixed IP (Address Reservation section) for Google Wifi Pro 
  • Google Wifi Pro: default config of Router LAN IP 192.168.86.1
  • Google Wifi Pro: default config of DHCP Pool 192.168.86.20-192.168.86.250

I experience regular drop outs (daily) and I'm really struggling to know how to fix.

- I've tried fixing IPs on the more flaky devices (Sky Q is particularly delicate!) - this hasn't resolved issues

- I've replaced Google Wifi with the current Google wifi Pro...if anything this is worse (and certainly a stupid waste of money)

-I've tried moving the various Google wifi hubs closer to test

I was planning to try and replace the Sky Hub with an alternative (hence the questions here) to rule in/out Sky Hub/double NAT/google wifi compatability.

Anyway...any advice from anyone appreciated 🙂

@bluefoxtoo 

Can you post your Sky router stats just out of curiosity 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@bluefoxtoo wrote:

Hi @Eeeps ...thanks for responding.

My set up is:

• Sky Hub: SR203 on default IP (192.168.0.1).
  • Sky Hub: Wifi Access Point Disabled (fior both 2.4 and 5)
  • Sky Hub: Fixed IP (Address Reservation section) for Google Wifi Pro 
  • Google Wifi Pro: default config of Router LAN IP 192.168.86.1
  • Google Wifi Pro: default config of DHCP Pool 192.168.86.20-192.168.86.250

If your Google Pro is getting its WAN side IP address by DHCP from the Sky hub the only thing I would change is putting the Google Pro in the DMZ of the Sky hub and remove all forwarding rules on the Sky hub.

(Advanced tab - WAN Setup)

All incoming ports will then be directly forwarded to the Google Pro.
What are Ethernet connections like on the Google? (stable or drops?)

This message was authored by PaulN1980 This message was authored by: PaulN1980

@bluefoxtoo Do you have FTTP?  If so have you tried connecting the Nest WiFi Pro directly to the ONT?  I have my Nest Wifi Pro connected directly tio the ONT and have removed the Sky Router completely and everything works perfectly.  If you already have your Net Wifi Pro setup, then all you need to do is go into the Google Home App and Select Wi-Fi.  Once in there click Network Settings->Advanced networking.  Ensure that IPv6 is enabled and that you select DHCP under WAN.  Connect the Nest WiFi Pro WAN ethernet port to your ONT.  You may need to power everything off for a few minutes to allow the Sky Routers DHCP session to expire.  Other posts suggest that only 80% of the Openreach network supports this approach wihich uses DHCPv6 Delegation Prefox to authenticate, so you may be unlucky and can't do it like this but it is worth a go.

Paul

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion