Discussion topic: Sky Gigafast Installation location

This message was authored by gmdoom This message was authored by: gmdoom

Sky Gigafast Installation location

Hi, I've finally made the jump away from my broadband provider of 7 years to get gigafast with Sky and had a question regarding the installation. 

I have a master socket near the front door, but I want the new ONT (I think that's what is needed for FTTP) installing in the front room. I'll need to discuss on the day, but would Openreach move it or would the installation need to be where the current master socket is? This could be the decider for me with all of my current Ethernet cables routed nicely to where my current hub is.

Thanks,

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: Sky Gigafast Installation location

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gmdoom 

Our fibre was coiled at the front door (up from the ground). On the day, the engineer runs fibre (they have in the van) from the ONT (that they'll install) round to where the fibre comes from the pole or ground and splice them. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@gmdoom 

You can generally, within reason have the ONT installed at a place convenient for you. Our master socket was/is in a useless position and when Karl (OR engineer) came over we discussed where I wanted the ONT and that was it really. He needed 20 meters of fibre and set to work. The master socket is still in place, not in use.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@gmdoom 

The ont will be located with 10 metres of where the fibre enters the house and 3 feet from a wall socket.

So there will be an element of choice but any more than that get a cup of tea and biscuits ready and they may be able to locate it in a more desirable location

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

also bear in mind that the ONT connects to your router (sky or 3rd party) via ethernet so this can be some distance away. In my case I use a 10m ethernet cable between the ONT and my main XT8

gmdoom
Topic Author
This message was authored by gmdoom This message was authored by: gmdoom

Thanks for all of the help. How does the fibre line come into the house? I don’t see anything around the house with wires coming up. Other than cables into a Nynex box
This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

the openreach engineer installed the fibre from the outside box along the wall and into my house on the day 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@gmdoom 

Our fibre was coiled at the front door (up from the ground). On the day, the engineer runs fibre (they have in the van) from the ONT (that they'll install) round to where the fibre comes from the pole or ground and splice them. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion