Discussion topic: Sky Fibre Broadband - Drop in Speed

This message was authored by arthur64 This message was authored by: arthur64

Sky Fibre Broadband - Drop in Speed

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. Ive been with Sky Broadband about 18 months now , and until about 7 days ago got a steadfy 27-28 mbps which is about the speed I expect to get where i live etc.

That speed has dropped to about 16-17 mbps permanently now, nothing has changed at my end so was just wonderinmg what is going on.  My line to house is synch at about 31 mbps and is steady.

I have already contacted Sky and they immediately (without checking anything) sent out a new router (exactly the same) and that has done nothing to improve the speed i am getting (what an absolute waste). I am not prepared to spend hours on the phone to Sky and probably get knowhere fast and get stressed about it as I wouldnt probably have even noticed if i didnt do regular speed tests. I can still do everything I/we need with speed we currently get, its just annoying that im not getting what i shoud. I have attached my status and stats to see if anyone can see a problem.

Thanks

Systems Detailshelp
Manufacturer Sky
Model ER110
Firmware Version 2.21.2760.R
DSL Firmware VersionA2pv6F039m1.d24m

Modemhelp
Modem StatusConnected
Traffic Type:PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):3115
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):31242
<removed>
DHCPv6On

Wireless Porthelp
Name (SSID) SKYEA922
Region Europe
Current Channel 6 (2.4 GHz), 36 (5 GHz)
Wireless APEnabled
Broadcast NameYes

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 15334831 25807059 0 35885 6468 65:47:08 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 3281304 1903470 0 1117833 58728 65:52:10 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 25379147 15084161 0 0 4088 65:52:08
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed (Kbps) 31242 3115 Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:26.0    DS2:84.6    DS3:0.0 US0:10.7    US1:65.0    US2:0.0 Noise Margin (dB) DS1:3.9    DS2:0.0    DS3:0.0 US0:6.3    US1:5.5    US2:0.0

Moderation note: removed MAC & IP address from public view

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband - Drop in Speed

@arthur64 

The router stats are good for the line to the cabinet. The throughput issue would need to be escalated to the networks team to investigate the issue for throughput speed drop by about half. Usually, these types of throughput issues get fixed but it usually takes up to about a month to diagnose, unfortunately. And you are not alone there are many reports of throughputspeed issues currently being reported on the forum...

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
arthur64
Topic Author
This message was authored by arthur64 This message was authored by: arthur64

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/814031

many thanks for the reply. What is easiest way to get escalation to the networks team, from what ive read it can take much time and effort to get to this stage.

Anyone on here able to assist or escalate for me.

Thanks

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@arthur64 

Unfortunately, it does take a great deal of effort to get it escalated and it is helped by posting on this forum, especially with throughput speed test over a wired connection on the thread and likely a few calls to Sky.

I had a similar issue with Zen Internet at the beginning of the year, but fortunately, it did get fixed after a few calls and they traced the issue to a recent upgrade of their network but it did take a month!

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion