Discussion topic: Sky Engineer

This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Sky Engineer

Hi Sky Reps,

I signed up to fibre a few weeks back over the phone and was currently waiting on openreach and sky to install the necessary equipment and cables to the property.

I had sms messages stating that I should be receiving cables through the post prior to the sky engineer coming over, but I still have not received anything.

Last week I had the openreach engineer come over to install the (customer service point) junction box outside the house but he didn't drill through the wall to thread through the cable for the sky engineer.

grey-openreach-box-sml-1819881391.jpg

The sky engineer should be coming over on the 4th dec to install the fibre but may not be able to if I don't receive any of the cables prior to his/her arrival.

The other puzzling question is the openreach box that should be installed in the premises, the small box that comes with the back up battery for the FTTP, Who will install this?

54589c8428ae778733406697e99135f1-3847310554.jpg

Another question is about Sky Q router. I've had this for a few years now but ofc limitations of what can be achieved with such a device prevents me from gaining impressive speeds with the support of other tech or changing the router. Which leads me to my final question. The router, or the modem, which is it? Because i assumed SKY Q Hub was both and if not can I change the sky Q Hub to just a modem and purchase a separate router that will then enable me to add other tech such as unifi, alta labs and TP link.

Hope you can help me out here

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Sky Engineer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnieFinFin I would not worry. The Sky engineer will bring the ONT with them you will have an opportunity to agree where it will be fitted on an outside wall. A hole will br drilled and the fibre pigtail passed through and the hole weather sealed. The engineer will run the pigtail to the csp and make the fusion weld to the supply fibre.

After doing that work the engineer will connect the hub to the ONT using an Ethernet cable - which is what Sky should be sending you but if you dont have one I am sure the engineer will have a spare..

By the by the ONT in your pucture isan old unit the current ones are far smaller.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@FinnieFinFin 

The ONT/BBU combination pictured was an early Openreach deployment mode: that's no longer done, and in the vast majority of installations no BBU will be supplied (the possible exception being customers identified as 'vulnerable')

Sky has a small number of fusion-splicing trained installers, but most FTTP second stage installation is carried out by Openreach or their subcontractors.

With FTTP the Openreach ONT is the'modem' and is specified with gigabit ethernet.

As you have a Q Hub (which doesn't support Sky Talk Internet Calls), Sky will be despatching an Sky Broadband Hub to replace it unless you've chosen to pay an extra monthly subscription for the Max Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@FinnieFinFin I would not worry. The Sky engineer will bring the ONT with them you will have an opportunity to agree where it will be fitted on an outside wall. A hole will br drilled and the fibre pigtail passed through and the hole weather sealed. The engineer will run the pigtail to the csp and make the fusion weld to the supply fibre.

After doing that work the engineer will connect the hub to the ONT using an Ethernet cable - which is what Sky should be sending you but if you dont have one I am sure the engineer will have a spare..

By the by the ONT in your pucture isan old unit the current ones are far smaller.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author
This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Thank you!!

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

The conversion kit cable is a stand 1m grey Ethernet cable similar to the yellow one that came with your hub. The kit is not sent out until the installation is confirmed so now your csp is fitted it should be with you soon.

the sky engineer should be able to make you a cable if needed, the made me a 3m and 5m cable to allow me to play about with WiFi signal strength and location

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Good to know 

I may need a switch because all the eth at the back of sky hub are all taken. I may even have to take out eth 4 for the new fibre

Having the engineer add these eth cables is great. Thank you letting me know

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Interesting 

Good to know 

I'll speak with the engineer about all this and hopefully he'll try his best to accommodate me

thank you 🙏 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion