Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Hub - Stats meaning?!

This message was authored by Sky-2022 This message was authored by: Sky-2022

Sky Broadband Hub - Stats meaning?!

Hi, Sky Community. 

Would be great if I could get some advice and guidance regarding the question that I have been having trouble answering. I have seen from other threads that the headings - (Line Attenuation) & - (Noise Margin) with their figures are very important to show the broadband speed to the router. I am asking for both headings what they mean and what they should be the optimal numbers for the best connection and if there is anything to worry about? - I have attached a screenshot to show where and the information that should appear after approval.

Thank you!

Screenshot (788).png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If my reply is correct/up-to-standard mark it as answered.
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
If I say something you find informative and helpful give me a thumbs up.
I am trying to level my way through progressively 🙂

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: Sky Broadband Hub - Stats meaning?!

@Sky-2022 

The first thing to do is not reboot the router every 2 days, just leave it running 24/7 without touching it and see if it ups the speed.

Technically, it would be difficult for Sky to accept a fault even though everyone on the forum would likely agree it is a faulty broadband line but you are above the guaranteed minimum speed.

The distance from the cabinet is around 260 metres, and for that distance on an average broadband line, one would expect about 65-70Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Sky-2022 wrote:

Hi, Sky Community. 

Would be great if I could get some advice and guidance regarding the question that I have been having trouble answering. I have seen from other threads that the headings - (Line Attenuation) & - (Noise Margin) with their figures are very important to show the broadband speed to the router. I am asking for both headings what they mean and what they should be the optimal numbers for the best connection and if there is anything to worry about? - I have attached a screenshot to show where and the information that should appear after approval.

Thank you!

Screenshot (788).png

• A reasonably understandable Google-type answer - The longer the line/higher attenuation the more noise margin you may need - which means the slower speed you will get. What's ideal or possible depends on your geography and the quality of the line.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hey, @TechmanagerMal.

Thank you for your prompt reply, makes a little more sense to me. How does my stats compare to what you said, good, bad, decent etc?

Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sky-2022What does the information you get from filling out the link below, hiding the private information in the top-left when you take the screenshot, this will give us a good indication. But you can also do the same with the broadband test and click on " Tell me more about my connection "

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome  <<< gives indication of speed

Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hey, @Highlinder.

I have attached 2 screenshots that should appear once approved, thanks for your help!

Screenshot (556).pngScreenshot (794).png

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Sky-2022So you are not far off your minimum, are you re-starting your router because of speed or is the router re-starting itself? As you should be getting way more as it says you can get between 62-80Mb/s

Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hey, @Highlinder.

I have been facing many issues with my internet and it was at one point 69mbps access and then when it went bad it dropped to 52 and still having the same issues, I have been restarting the router every few days to see if it helps but no luck. And it hasn't gone back up since that day. 

I have had an engineer visit they were saying due to the 3 storms we had back in Feb it may have shorted my CCTV which is now overloading the router, but his instructions were to take out the cable every time we are home, where this a hassle as we can forget after a stressful day. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Sky-2022 

The hub has been up for >130 hours without dropping.

The line attenuations are reflective of the speed in the wholesale checker (you would expect higher attenuation if there was an external fault)

@mae-3 would have more knowledge about whats happening in your case

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Sky-2022 

Oh and the 6.1db downstream noise margin does indicate the could be another 12Mbps.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hey, @cookiemonsteruk.

Thank you for the information as to my recent reply above, even when I have removed the CCTV cable from the router at least the router access line should go back up to 64mbps at least?

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Sky-2022 

Oh and the 6.1db downstream noise margin does indicate the could be another 12Mbps.

@cookiemonsterukThis is why I got @Sky-2022 to do the checks as looking at the speed there should have been a lot more.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@Sky-2022 

The first thing to do is not reboot the router every 2 days, just leave it running 24/7 without touching it and see if it ups the speed.

Technically, it would be difficult for Sky to accept a fault even though everyone on the forum would likely agree it is a faulty broadband line but you are above the guaranteed minimum speed.

The distance from the cabinet is around 260 metres, and for that distance on an average broadband line, one would expect about 65-70Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hey, @mae-3.

Thank you for your informative response. I will now keep the router on for 10 days and see if there is a change and will report back here with an update.

Thank you all @mae-3 @Highlinder @cookiemonsteruk  for the help!

Sky-2022
Topic Author

Hi, Sky Community. 

I am back once again with the update, post 10 days. The speeds have still not changed and to be honest, I could do with guidance regarding this, please? I have the updated screenshots once they are approved for viewing and verdict. 

Thank you for any help once again!

Screenshot (819).png

Screenshot (818).pngScreenshot (794).png

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Sky-2022 

It's very difficult to advise anything more other than leaving it for another 2 days, the WAN shows an uptime of 8.5 days approximately, leave it for another 2 days and see. But in the end, even though I absolutely agree you have an issue and likely fault on the broadband line it is achieving a speed above the MGS and therefore Sky won't accept it as a fault.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion