Discussion topic: Sky Broadband - Google Nest Mesh WiFi

This message was authored by GavYCK This message was authored by: GavYCK

Sky Broadband - Google Nest Mesh WiFi

Hi there, I am looking to get a mesh WiFi network set up in my home to eradicate dead spots and get coverage in my new garden room, and really like the look of the Google mesh set up, considering I already have a number of Google smart home devices.

I read last year that Sky broadband routers really don't get along with Google Nest, but it was my understanding that this was because the Sky Q setup was a mesh system and therefore they constantly competed with each other. Now I no longer have Sky Q and have moved to Sky Glass, will this no longer be the case?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated before I spend 300 quid on a setup I can't use...! 😅

TIA

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky Broadband - Google Nest Mesh WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GavYCK 

You should be fine but keep in mind that Google Mesh is unable to authenticate via Sky's systems on its own so you'll still need the Sky hub in place which means you'll either have double NAT or have to put the Google Mesh system into AP mode

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
GavYCK
Topic Author

Thanks for your answer mate. Is that relatively simple to do? Does it mean just plug one of the Nest units straight into the Sky modem with an ethernet cable, then the other units wherever I need them?

Cheers and apologies - I'm a proper layman!

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GavYCK 

Pretty much yeah. The Google setup guide will tell you exactly how to do it but its pretty much a case of plugging it into the Sky hub and going from there

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
GavYCK
Topic Author

Awesome, thank you!

This message was authored by Pct95 This message was authored by: Pct95

Hi, Just reading this discussion - did this work okay for you as I am looking at doing the same.

Cheers

Phil

This message was authored by nottherealstew This message was authored by: nottherealstew

@GavYCK @Pct95 I'm in exactly the same position - if you can share your experiences, that would be great.

I will have Sky Broadband Ultrafast Plus installed next week. I am happy to keep the Sky modem. But I want to run a mesh wifi due to house size/wall thickness - ideally a Google Nest Wifi Pro (just as a router connected to the Sky Broadband modem via LAN cable). There is a lot of confusing information on the internet and different forums about what will and will not work - seems to be Sky Q related mostly.

Note: I do not have Sky Q / multiroom (just an old Sky+HD). I have an existing Tenda MW3 / MW5 mesh wifi I want to upgrade at the same time as getting Sky Ultrasfast Plus as it is very tempremental. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion