Discussion topic: Should fibre cables have drip loops?

This message was authored by tjt1961 This message was authored by: tjt1961

Should fibre cables have drip loops?

I had full fibre fitted last week and it is working well.

The external work was done by an Openreach engineer and the internal work by a Sky engineer

A neighbour noted that neither of the engineers installed the fibres  with drip loops and that is not ideal.

My question is do fibre cables need drip loops?

I am not worried, just curious.

Thanks

PXL_20231001_171142529.jpg 

Full Fibre Sky Broadband , Talk and Sky Q. Eero mesh network.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Should fibre cables have drip loops?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tjt1961 given they are not carrying electricity the answer is almost cetainly no. If you look inside the grey box you will find the fibre is wound onto a circular fixture with around a meter coiled up to which the fibre pigtail is also wound onto and welded. See below

IMG_1376.jpeg

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Felix23 This message was authored by: Felix23

Still it is not connected internet. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@tjt1961 given they are not carrying electricity the answer is almost cetainly no. If you look inside the grey box you will find the fibre is wound onto a circular fixture with around a meter coiled up to which the fibre pigtail is also wound onto and welded. See below

IMG_1376.jpeg

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@tjt1961 

As @Chrisee indicates, there's nothing within a CSP to corrode or short.

I would however note that drilling though directly under the CSP without a loop isn't ideal because your only defence against water penetration to the property is that squirt of silicone, which does tend to degrade over time.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Felix23 This message was authored by: Felix23

But when I get the connection? When I'll get to use the Wi-Fi?

tjt1961
Topic Author
This message was authored by tjt1961 This message was authored by: tjt1961

Thanks @Chrisee and @TimmyBGood.

Full Fibre Sky Broadband , Talk and Sky Q. Eero mesh network.
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Felix23 What isn't? You seem to be asking a question about your own issue in somebody elses post that is about something entirely different?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion