Discussion topic: Service checker says Sky Broadband problem, fix says all fine, email offering "Right to exit"

This message was authored by Gaile This message was authored by: Gaile

Service checker says Sky Broadband problem, fix says all fine, email offering "Right to exit"

Didn't realise there was a problem with broadband (been away for 2 weeks) until I got an email saying I have the right to exit my contract because they can't fix it.

I did a service check and sure enough it says there is a problem with the broadband.  Then I click "Lets fix it" and it goes through the checks and says everything is ok. - fine. When I go back and do the service check, again it says there is a problem.

I am still able to watch tv and do the things I need to, mobiles take a wee while to load pages sometimes but thats all.

Is there a problem? Isn't there a problem?

Advice from someone who knows about these things would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the stats from the hub.

Thank you 

System Up Time: 00:46:25

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 95406 82952 0 8938 12472 00:32:29 LAN Up 85345 66165 5 548053 36897 00:46:25 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 10819 86 0 1920 0 00:45:17 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 33538 8185 0 10692 2464 00:44:35

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 34995 kbps 7700 kbps Line Attenuation D1(13.7 dB) , D2(35.0 dB) , D3(53.7 dB) U0(5.5 dB) , U1(27.6 dB) , U2(42.5 dB) Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.2 dB

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Service checker says Sky Broadband problem, fix says all fine, email offering "Right to exi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gaile wrote:

Didn't realise there was a problem with broadband (been away for 2 weeks) until I got an email saying I have the right to exit my contract because they can't fix it.

Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 34995 kbps 7700 kbps

Your connection is aparently being limited by automated Openreach Dynamic Line Management (DLM), probably due to detected instability at higher speeds.  If 35Mbs is lower than the Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed which Sky quoted when you signed up with them, that typically triggers the email offer to leave without penalty because Sky are now predicting they cannot and will never be able to meet this 'guarantee'.  Note that any other ISP using the same line to provide FTTC would face the same issue.

If 35Mbs is sufficient for your broadband requirements then there's no particular need to be concerned, although you might want to check you are being charged the slightly lower monthly rate for an 'up to 40Mbs' service (Sky Superfast 35), rather than the 'up to 80Mbs' (Sky Superfast) which your line probably cannot support.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion