Discussion topic: Second master socket

This message was authored by Kieran97 This message was authored by: Kieran97

Second master socket

Hi,

I have my router setup under my stairs connected to the master socket 5c. I have a second master socket 5c in the hallway which is where I'd like the router to be however when I tried to plug in I wasn't getting any Internet but I assumed I had to just plug it in. Is there a reason why its not working?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Second master socket

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kieran97 wrote:

Is there a reason why its not working?

Simple: on a single phone line, data does not travel past the first master socket (or more precisely the filter circuit this contains, assuming it's fitted with a Mark 4 faceplate).  A second master socket at the address requires a second line and a second ISP service to get data to it.

If it's on the same internal wiring then you would get voice at that second socket (if your address still has a PSTN service)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Second master socket

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kieran97 wrote:

Is there a reason why its not working?

Simple: on a single phone line, data does not travel past the first master socket (or more precisely the filter circuit this contains, assuming it's fitted with a Mark 4 faceplate).  A second master socket at the address requires a second line and a second ISP service to get data to it.

If it's on the same internal wiring then you would get voice at that second socket (if your address still has a PSTN service)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion