Discussion topic: SIRO Engineer Did not Connect SIRO Box to the House Ethernet

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SIRO Engineer Did not Connect SIRO Box to the House Ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StephenM1987 wrote:

I though so too but it doesn't seem to be

16814143596347574122724730581974.jpg

Intriguingly, Lens thinks that's multizone speaker cabling, and the junction box certainly looks more AV than IT.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
StephenM1987
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenM1987 This message was authored by: StephenM1987

The search continues for the termination point of my cat6 cabling!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenM1987 

The lettering along the cable should indicate what type it is: decent Cat rated ethernet always identifies itself.

If you're unlucky, someone got the electrician to 'run the network cable' and consequently it's in a nice neat ring configuration which is fine for electricity and entirely useless for data (since about 1990, anyway).  

StephenM1987
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenM1987 This message was authored by: StephenM1987

Hopefully not. I'll follow up and see. Unless it's in the attic the pics I shared are the only 2 places I see ant cat cables. Neither are particularly useful spots. The cables are 

20230413_202509.jpg

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@StephenM1987 that does look like Cat6 ethernet cable so you need to find where they run to if the house does not have a comms cupboard or a "plant room" which many modern homes have  then look in the loft.  

Each cable should have 8 cores arranged in 4 twisted pairs and are not difficult to terminate but as I said it can be fiddly this video is a useful hands on for an amateur- a pro like @TimmyBGood will probably sneer as he can terminate ethernet in the dark with his eyes shut halfway up a mountain in a blizzard 😉An ethernet switch requires power which normally means being located near a power outlet. 

This work does require the right tools and it maybe better to get a network expert in to set this up for you. Its beyond what Sky can arrange for you. Most areas have someone who does this for a living.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee wrote:

- a pro like @TimmyBGood will probably sneer as he can terminate ethernet in the dark with his eyes shut halfway up a mountain in a blizzard 😉

I did once complete an outdoor AV installation in an intermittent sleet storm five minutes before it was due to be declared open by the local MP.  That was on a moderate hill rather than a mountain though.

Cat6 is just slightly more annoying than Cat5 to work with because of the additional plastic cruciform core in the cable construction: we still use Cat5 everywhere which doesn't have fibre because the theoretical extra bandwidth of Cat6 isn't available with gigabit switching.

StephenM1987
Topic Author

Nice! I'll head to the attic today and see what awaits. 

StephenM1987
Topic Author

20230414_083208.jpg

StephenM1987
Topic Author

Had the electrician come out he's confirmed the CATs all terminate above the door in the messy junction box. What's happened in other houses is the ISPs have blown in a cable via a deidctaed channel outside the hosue and then the engineer has crimped the cables and connected to the modem. Not sure if siro or sky will do this but I've raised the request. Fingers crossed otherwise I'll terminate the contract and try with another ISP.

@StephenM1987 wrote:

What's happened in other houses is the ISPs have blown in a cable via a deidctaed channel outside the hosue and then the engineer has crimped the cables and connected to the modem. Not sure if siro or sky will do this but I've raised the request. Fingers crossed otherwise I'll terminate the contract and try with another ISP.

OK, you need to appreciate that SIRO is not the ISP: they are a national network provider (in RoI) and are contracted by the ISP to carry out a standard  FTTP installation.  In the UK the equivalent is Openreach, and their responsibility ends at the ONT (fibre modem).  It's important to be aware that you probably won't even see a representative of the ISP (Sky or otherwise) because the ONT to router link is supposed to be carried out by the subscriber themselves by making a simple ethernet cable connection between the two. 

Realistically it's very unlikely any ISP would offer an internal cabling termination service because it would be impossible for them to scope the task and budget time and resources accordingly in advance.

StephenM1987
Topic Author

This is helpful to know thank you. I think I would be ok with this, except for the fact that on ireland Virgin & Vodafone seem to have done a more thorough setup for the same homes here. I've also contacted a private consultant and might go that route 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@StephenM1987 honestly paying your own expert is going to be the best way to get what you want.

Developer's electricians are often totally clueless when it comes to network cabelling and not much better with AV cables. ISP's techs will be working to a time limit and unless things are very different in Ireland Virgin   for one are not known for their thoroughness. Sky's teams are also normally quite limited on what they can tackle and they certainly wouldn't wire up a whole house.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@StephenM1987 wrote:

I though so too but it doesn't seem to be

16814143596347574122724730581974.jpg

Intriguingly, Lens thinks that's multizone speaker cabling, and the junction box certainly looks more AV than IT.

Looks like Lens can't resolve the Cat 6 that's printed on the cables.  😁

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion