Discussion topic: SIRO Engineer Did not Connect SIRO Box to the House Ethernet

This message was authored by StephenM1987 This message was authored by: StephenM1987

SIRO Engineer Did not Connect SIRO Box to the House Ethernet

After a lot of delays (and I mean a lot) SIRO finally installed my SIRO box. I had taken days off to be here for them but they cancelled x5 times so when they eventually did come I had to get a friend to let them into the house.

The engineer basically put the SIRO connection on the opposite side of my ESB Box in the house. 

The problem is (1) I have to get a big cable across our floor to power it as there is no power supply there. (2) it's not connected in any way to the house ethernet cable system so i have no ability to cable in the broadband to e.g. the TV or PC...

Our house is a new build with CAT6 cables and ports throughout. 

I was told by Sky and SIRO they won't move the box and while I've escalated this as it's pretty ridiculous, I wonder has anyone else had the same issue?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SIRO Engineer Did not Connect SIRO Box to the House Ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StephenM1987 wrote:

The engineer basically put the SIRO connection on the opposite side of my ESB Box in the house. 

Coming in through the ESB meter enclosure is a defining characteristic of SIRO (and isn't done at all in the UK).

They do say : " SIRO will be brought into your home either overhead or underground and into the ESB meter box. An external connector box which houses the SIRO fibre will be positioned close to the ESB meter box.  The engineer will agree with you where to install our internal connector box. Some minor drilling is involved and some cabling depending on where you would like your modem " which to me would indicate there should be a degree of customer choice and flexibility internally.

I'd suggest that putting the ONT in a location distant from any power source is clearly inappropriate.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
StephenM1987
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenM1987 This message was authored by: StephenM1987

Thanks.

I'm ok with coming in via the ESB box or in that area, but that typically places the SIRO connection and SIRO box in the hallway of the home and I'm not sure how people have managed to get their home ethernet connected to the Modem from there without cables everywhere. 

Ours is a new build and I'm just trying to figure out how to link the SIro->Modem->House Ports. Maybe someone has done it with a new build recently. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenM1987 

Apparently some FTTP users have had success with taking the ethernet output of the ONT into a Powerline network adapter, and then bringing it back into a Hub WAN socket elsewhere.

Of course, that does require a power socket...

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@StephenM1987 you need a simple ethernet cable fron the SIRO box to your Sky hub - it connects to ethernet port 4 marked as WAN. You can use a second ethernet cable to link to a room ethernet port if there is one. The ethernet ports should be wired back to central point like a coms cupboard where you need to install a simple unmanaged ethernet switch simply connect the feed from the hub to any port on the switch and the simply do the same to connect devices like your TV. The beauty of ethernet is it bi-directional so no inputs or outputs. The switches are not expensive and can be bought with as many ports as you need - it is better to buy one with a few spare ports though.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
StephenM1987
Topic Author

Thanks for this, I found what I think is the termination point of the Cat cables. Siro are hopefully going to arrange an engineer to help me do this. The cables seem to have no ends so I probably need to affix cat 6 heads?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@StephenM1987 yes you will need to terminate the cables with rj45 connecters which while not difficult is fiddly work. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@StephenM1987 

Typically wall cabling would terminate on RJ45 faceplates and then be patched to ethernet devices.

StephenM1987
Topic Author

I though so too but it doesn't seem to be

16814143596347574122724730581974.jpg

@StephenM1987 

That's fairly horrible, and broken out in an inappropriate backbox too.

Might want to have a word with the housebuilder....

StephenM1987
Topic Author

Spoiler
I will indeed. There's no power supply either 

@StephenM1987 

Sadly it's no surprise: builders habitually install 'value add' cabling which is nothing of the sort.

StephenM1987
Topic Author

Yeah it bothered me a lot when I saw it. They are on holidays this week but I've asked the foreman and electrician to drop in on Monday.. 

StephenM1987
Topic Author

20230413_220911.jpg

 I also found this box close to the boiler. Not sure if this is the termination point for my CAT6s

@StephenM1987 

Nope, that's electrical.  No idea what it's doing, though ; )

Edit: Google Lens says it's related to heating control.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion