Discussion topic: Renewal of Broadband after 15 years with SKY

This message was authored by derf1990 This message was authored by: derf1990

Renewal of Broadband after 15 years with SKY

I have been a customer of Sky for 15 years and currently pay £30.50 per month for Sky Broadband Superfast.

They have sent me an email this morning starting when my contract sends on the, 8th June 2022 it will increase to £35.50 per month. Unless I enter into a new 18 month contract, when they can renew it at the current level.

I called SKY to cancel my contract but the fact it takes 20 minutes for them to answer the telephone, (some nonsense about they are very busy, but I suspect they use this excuse every day.) allowed me to compare other companies when I said I was cancelling they immediate said they will reduce it to £26.50 per month. Of course I have to enter into a new contract.

My question is, is this the best deal I can get, I am in central London.

Any help or advice would be great.

Why does a large company like SKY resort to this appalling practises. Why do quote the best price straight away.

I'm sure older people just do nothing or sign up on line for the higher priced product.

have also email the CEO.

You can email the CEO her namee is Dana Strong and you need to put a dot between the first name and the last name , then you put the @ sign and use skygroup and a dotcom finish. Sorry to do it in this strange view but she must get a lot of complaints!!

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Renewal of Broadband after 15 years with SKY

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@derf1990 

This is completely normal practice and almost all companies do it. You get a discount for being in contract because they know you are secured to the contract for a fixed period whereas when you are out of contract you can leave anytime so a deal is less attractive to the company. 

Emailing the CEO about a matter like this is such an over the top reaction. You can shop around for broadband deals to your address and if you find one at a better price than Sky you can move to them hassle free. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@derf1990 

This is completely normal practice and almost all companies do it. You get a discount for being in contract because they know you are secured to the contract for a fixed period whereas when you are out of contract you can leave anytime so a deal is less attractive to the company. 

Emailing the CEO about a matter like this is such an over the top reaction. You can shop around for broadband deals to your address and if you find one at a better price than Sky you can move to them hassle free. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
derf1990
Topic Author

With respect I understand that points you made.

Of course they want a contract, but the original contract they wanted me to enter into was at £30.50pcm. When I called them to say I wished to cancelled they offered to do so at a lower rate than I am paying now.

I have heard back and because of my'over reaction'  email and I now a better offer,  maybe my negogiating skills are better than others.

If I was some who just clicked renew I would be paying £60 per annum more, maybe a small amount to you but for people on a pension it a lot, espiacally when you add all the large companies who behave in this way.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@derf1990 

The deal you get presented with initially is their normal price or 'offer'. The deal you have is because you've been through retentions/complaints. If Sky gave everyone this same deal then it wouldn't be a deal at all and it would just then drive the average price up. If you are willing to put the effort in, like you've done in this case, you'll likely be rewarded with a better offer. Not everyone has the time, patience or knowledge to do this but thats just life unfortunately. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
derf1990
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

I totally understand why they do it, and frankly difficult to believe that you are not a Sky member of staff. Why do you think paying more to Sky is good?

In 2022 I think your moral compass, as well as Sky's needs a small reboot.

When I book a flight, the same price is offered to everyone, I don't call the airline and get a better price. In fact, if I do I pay more, because a human has had to become involved.

Likewise I don't get a better price from Apple for iTunes if I call them.

This is an outdated business practise and should be stopped. One fair price for everyone, no ill feelin g that some people are getting a better price, let them go head to head with other companies.

The same package and I have now been offered four different amounts.

Your defense of Sky I applaude but sadly it is misplaced.

Thanks for your comments.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@derf1990 

Nothing wrong with my moral compass thanks mate, its just business. At no point have I said paying Sky more is good nor have I even suggested the fact. My point is that if you put more effort into cutting costs then you are rewarded for it, dont expect to be handed it on a silver platter by Sky offering everyone the absolute minimum price for the contract through their retentions department 

Your argument about booking a flight is an absolute golden example so thanks for bringing it up. A flight on an airlines website is one price, but if you put the effort in and look around for deals, discounts or packages with other companies you will almost always find that fight cheaper to book elsewhere or in combination with something else. Same applies to Sky's pricing. 

Thanks for your comments. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
derf1990
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

I'm using the flying  example on the basis of being a gold card member at BA. I don't want to fly with Ryanair,  or easyJet. I just want the best price (and same price) on the day as anyone else when I book.

I'm not asking Sky to match a price I have been quoted elsewhere. I have been a customer for over 15 years. I'm not threating them that I am going to shop around for a better deal. I just believe they should offer their best deal, first time every time.

Why would the price go up. Does Apple TV have different rates, Netflix, Spotify etc. No they are modern companies running their businesses in a modern way.

Having run my own company for many years, and signed many hundreds of contracts in that time, the way Sky are behaving is outdated. If you disagree, let's agree to disagree.

Thanks for the time in replying.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion