Discussion topic: Problems viewing a website - why?

This message was authored by thinkingofmoving This message was authored by: thinkingofmoving

Problems viewing a website - why?

I was trying to get to a website via home router on chrome or any browser

It failed to get to site but I could get site on phone OK.. Via mobile network 

Not router network on phone

To cut a long story short when I changed dns to Google dns on laptop

All worked ok

Why would sky dns be out of date

How do i get it working with the website Google dns found no problem

I never thought of dns I thought it was router or browser issue 

This simple issue caused me 4 hrs of fault finding

But we are having connection issues so this could be part of the problem

Any help appreciated 

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkWinterMJ This message was authored by: MarkWinterMJ

Re: Problems viewing a website - why?

Assuming this isn't Sky's "Shield" parental filter causing problems, then I've had this issue before, where access to sites suddenly becomes quite sporadic for no clear reason. The solution that works for me is to turn off your router for a few short minutes, then turn it back on again.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@thinkingofmoving this can happen when a site changes hosting provider as that change has to replicate down the DNS chain as no one server knows every address it works on a heirarchy . Google's DNS is often faster at picking up changes especially on smaller sites than ISP's servers. If it could also be an issue with Broadband Shield so its worth checking your settings which default to age13 unless you change it.. 

Another possible cause is Sky has multiple machines providing DNS services and it has been known for the one you are connected to be faulty which is a pain but rebooting your hub by switching off the power for a few minutes can sort that as your new IP address is likely to be on a different gateway. DNS issues are quite common so perhaps should be further up your list if other services are working normally. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Digi-788 This message was authored by: Digi-788

Change your routers DNS settings (in DHCP) to one you are happy is working well 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Digi-788 & @MarkWinterMJ 

The DNS servers on Sky routers are fixed, the only real way to change these is to use a third-party router or even better firewall round-robin DNS to the different DNS infrastructures. But the DNS servers of Sky are quite reliable but not perfect, what is perfect! 😀

My own DNS servers snapshot...

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 08.36.06.png

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion