Discussion topic: Problem with sky wifi max

This message was authored by Ianv1 This message was authored by: Ianv1

Problem with sky wifi max

I have just changed router to a wifi max. It works on sky stream  my iphone and newer ipad, but on my old model A1458 it refuses it allow to join the network. I have triple checked the password but I keep getting the same error message " Unable to join the network"

Has Sky introduced some restrictions on the broadband? 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Problem with sky wifi max

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ianv1 wrote:

Has Sky introduced some restrictions on the broadband? 

By default the Max Hub broadcasts on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands with the same SSID, and uses WPA3 wireless encryption by default: an older device might be allergic to one or both of those.

As a first step, try using the Hub administration tabs in the My Sky app to knock the encryption down a notch.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ianv1 wrote:

on my old model A1458 it refuses it allow to join the network.

I'd note the 4th generation iPad is now more than a decade old, and specified as 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz)

The Max Hub is WiFi 6 (802.11ax) while 802.11n is WiFi 4

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

@TimmyBGood wrote:

As a first step, try using the Hub administration tabs in the My Sky app to knock the encryption down a notch.

This, iPad 4th gen only supports up to iOS 10, so will not support WPA3 encryption and will likely struggle with WPA3-T. Changing your hub to WPA2 should allow your iPad to connect but this will lower the encryption standard for all your devices, negating the increased security the Max hub offers over earlier Sky broadband hubs.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
Ianv1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ianv1 This message was authored by: Ianv1

Thanks.  How do I access  the hub to change the settings. I could not see anything obvious on my sky. Any help gratefully received

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker

@Ianv1 wrote:

Thanks.  How do I access  the hub to change the settings. I could not see anything obvious on my sky. Any help gratefully received

In the MySky app:

1. Tap the Broadband tab at the bottom of the screen.
  2. You should have three buttons across the screen under Service Checker. Tap the right hand one, WiFi settings.
  3. Tap Advanced settings.
  4. Tap WiFi security level.
  5. On the drop down box, change the current security level from WPA3-T (default) to WOA3.
  6. tap the Save changes button.

IMG_2425.jpegIMG_2426.jpegIMG_2427.jpegIMG_2428.jpeg

once done, try connecting your iPad again.

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion