Discussion topic: Problem loading email content on Sky wifi

This message was authored by Lottieslots This message was authored by: Lottieslots

Problem loading email content on Sky wifi

Hi,

I've recently had Sky Broadband installed, and now I can't get any of my emails to fully download. I use an iPhone and iPad and have already checked my Privacy settings. The message I get says the issue is my Network settings, but I can't find any way to change that myself. This issue has only occurred after having Sky Broadband installed last week.

Many of the messages will say they are loading content after I manually override for every message, but then the thumbnail icon disappears and I get an empty box instead of an image. It is incredibly frustrating and I've been unable to find a work around.

Advise on what I am missing greatfully recieved 

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Problem loading email content on Sky wifi

@Lottieslots 

When using Sky DNS the DNS over HTTPS (DoH) to Apple is blocked, and this results in Apple believing the connection isn't private from those snooping on DNS queries which is usually the ISP.

Apple in their wisdom with their iPads and iPhones report this as an issue and blocks content from being downloaded automatically from third-party servers usually because of the privacy of the public IP address because of the DNS snooping.

Unfortunately, workarounds are to reduce the privacy of the Apple device setting. or use alternative DNS providers that don't block DoH to Apple.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Lottieslots 

And another reason Apple complain about privacy is the content from the email server isn't private, eg: tracker content which is insecure over the third-party web server being redirected from email...

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Noodling This message was authored by: Noodling

For anyone else struggling with this (I was), it seems the issue is many HTML emails include IP trackers in their header content, this means the iOS mail app will not download the content when the default setting of "Limit IP Address tracking" is turned on. This is why you'll often find images further down the email will load. 

The solution, albeit one which allows IP address tracking, is to simply turn it off.

You do that by going to Settings > Wi-Fi 

Then click on the "i" symbol next to the Sky Wi-Fi name you're connected to.

Then scroll down to "Limit IP Address Tracking" tap the button switching it from green to grey.

This should now allow content to download. 

This message was authored by Ryanm0071 This message was authored by: Ryanm0071

Try logging into your sky online account and disable the broadband shield. Worked for me. 

This message was authored by Moo777 This message was authored by: Moo777

This is an amazing answer. Does the job nicely . Been driving me insane for months. I have a question though. Is it safe to switch it off?? Thanks so much 

This message was authored by taljtome This message was authored by: taljtome

it's now July 2024 and I've had this problem much of the time.  When I telephone Sky they say it's my end, which it is not but now Sky are saying on Sky Go that there  is a problem.  I never had these problems with another provider but changed when I got Sky TV for an all inclusive package.  

This message was authored by Rus This message was authored by: Rus

Had the same issue since going on Sky Broadband 30th Aug.  Tried IP tracking disabled, didn't work.  Reset and disabled Shield. Problem solved.  Thank You

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion