Discussion topic: Poor wifi er115 on consoles and mobiles

This message was authored by randomdisplay555 This message was authored by: randomdisplay555

Poor wifi er115 on consoles and mobiles

As the title says, I've extremely poor wifi signal on phones & console. To the point where I've wired up CAT6 ethernet to the gaming console, switch between ethernet on desktop/laptop and just use data on my mobile.

Now as I've put up with this for a couple of years so it wouldn't really be a problem but I'm going to be downgrading my mobile package so would like it fixed beforehand.

I've a sky g hub ER115, 3 years old. I've tried changing wifi channels, decoupling the 2.4/5ghz range etc with no luck. Devices connect and resolve DNS queries but it doesn't matter if they're 1 meter away or 10 the transfer speed is poor, like 20-150kb/s max. This is happens if there's only 1 device connected to the wifi.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions other than spending an hour on the phone with skys "technical" team?

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Poor wifi er115 on consoles and mobiles

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@randomdisplay555 

Can you post your hub stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
randomdisplay555
Topic Author
This message was authored by randomdisplay555 This message was authored by: randomdisplay555

I feel like I should mention I downgraded my package last week. Before this I was on the superfast/fibre one getting around 10 down/2 up 

Screenshot from 2022-04-27 11-37-10.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@randomdisplay555 

Your line attenuations suggest you should be 70-80Mbps and your noise margins should be between 3-6db. Yours are too high and merit an engineer visit 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cookiemonsterukWould it be worth while seeing the handback speed on the line just incase it has been set on a 40/10 profile?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

@randomdisplay555 

I feel like I should mention I downgraded my package last week. Before this I was on the superfast/fibre one getting around 10 down/2 up 

Have you requested the speed drop fron 80 to 40Mbps

@Highlinder 

I am not having much joy with wholesale checker recently

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cookiemonsterukThey have changed it a bit. But it is worth a look.

@randomdisplay555Could you fill out information in the link below and after submitting it can you hide the personal information in the top-left corner and post a screenshot please.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

randomdisplay555
Topic Author

Sorry folks day got away from me.

@cookiemonsteruk the package was something like 12-14 down but never got higher than 10, they don't offer it anymore but was called "sky broadband superfast" and was £33/m (for broadband only)

I did ask for a down grade around 3 weeks ago. We switched packaged as the contract had expired, we're now paying £35/m all in. I think we're on sky broadband "superfast" 35 but as mentioned in the original post the wifi has been an issue since we signed up to sky 3 years back. Wired speed is perfect however.

@Highlinder sure. For some reason it wouldn't work uuing my landline so I put in my address.

Screenshot from 2022-04-27 16-02-55.png

I'm guessing the impacted signals a problem? I did have a seperate line in around 13 years ago though. Hasn't been used since.

randomdisplay555
Topic Author

Sorry don't know how to edit.

Just to further clarify, I've never had a problem with connection speed via ethernet bar the (very) occasional drop out. It's only the wifi that is the issue.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@randomdisplay555 

There is no issue with the broadband line, but the broadband line is on a 40/10Mbps profile which is a little odd because the broadband line will support much higher speeds if it was put on an 80/20Mbps profile.

I'd suggest that if you need better wireless performance you subscribe to the boost service which costs a little extra a month but does offer a better wireless router and wireless booster if you have poor wireless speed in some areas of your property.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@randomdisplay555Seeing the numbers from what your line is able to take and the handback speed if you are on a 40/10 profile and you are supposed to be on superfast I would be asking the question of Sky to say I would like to be on the 80/20 where I should be.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Highlinder @mae-3 @cookiemonsteruk @randomdisplay555 

On the forum we are going to see more and more of people on a 40/10 package when their line is capable of a 80/20 package. This is because of two main things, 

- Social Tariff

- Sky's cheaper 'Superfast 35' package which offers a big discount on your broadband for being limited to the 40mbps.

In this case the OP is complaining about getting 150kbps over WiFi so discussing why they are not on the 80mbps package really isnt of any help to them because clearly the issue is either local WiFi conditions, faulty router or throughput from the exchange. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 

Yep, realised that after op said they had downgraded. So knee jerk reaction was line fault as i didn't figure that some one would downgrade voluntarily 👍

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@jamesn123 & @randomdisplay555 

A social tariff of £35 a month isn't a particularly good deal and seems the full tariff for full superfast 80/20Mbps service! And I did mention to the OP that it was a wireless issue, but a social tariff of more than £20 should be on the Sky site and advertised as such and seems a bit excessively at £35 that the punter is paying which is the full price?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion