Discussion topic: Options for getting Ultrafast Broadband

This message was authored by branchini1979 This message was authored by: branchini1979

Options for getting Ultrafast Broadband

Hi guys,

Apparently my area can have ultrafast broadband and i am thinking of upgrading but I have a big issue and want to know what it will cost to sort out and what sky can do.

Basically I live in an old house with the worst setup for broadband. Just one phone socket near the front door, no where near a power socket. My current setup for superfast broadband is a 15M telephone extension to lounge and then router is next to TV & box. Unfortunately this way i only get approx 25MBS.

If i can have it and to get the best out of ultrafast , will sky organise installation of a new socket and if so, how much will it cost? In reality to be ready for modern day broadband, I'd probably need a new master socket in lounge, and a second socket in the office room, though the former is more pressing.

Thank you in advance for your help

Lee

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Options for getting Ultrafast Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@branchini1979 wrote:

In reality to be ready for modern day broadband, I'd probably need a new master socket in lounge, and a second socket in the office room, though the former is more pressing.

Ultrafast broadband over FTTP does not use either a master socket for data delivery or additional sockets for voice calls: it's an entirely new delivery infrastructure over optical cable to an ONT with voice calls as VOIP to the router.

A master socket is still relevant to Ultrafast over G.fast (150Mbs) but voice calls are also VOIP and additional sockets no longer work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@branchini1979 

With Ultrafast the phone socket becomes redundant and Openreach bring in a new fibre wire which is terminated at something called an ONT. This box will sit where the cable comes in and then you connect the Sky router to it. 

As part of the install Openreach will bring it into your home in the best location they see fit so although you will have some wiggle room on where it is located you may not be able to dictate which side of the house or which room that will be. Once the ONT is installed I dont believe Sky can arrange for it to be moved, this used to be possible for master telephone sockets but I dont think there is a service for ONT relocation at this time. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
branchini1979
Topic Author
This message was authored by branchini1979 This message was authored by: branchini1979

Thank you for the clarification.

I mean if i could get the speed at hte upper end of superfast that would do but I have to lose speed due to where master socket is and nearest power socket/location of sky box/tv.

So in theory, As a new system altogether with ultrafast, i should get nearer the advertised speeds?

I may call them and see if i can get a new line sorted or move master socket (though doubt it) So will look into the benefits of ultrafast to cost difference to superfast.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@branchini1979 

Via ethernet yes as there is no speed loss over Fibre cables or if you extend the ethernet run from the ONT to the Sky hub. However you'll still be subject to the same WiFi limitations. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion