Discussion topic: Open reach Fibre install

This message was authored by Wrighty70 This message was authored by: Wrighty70

Open reach Fibre install

Hi Sky , 

We had openreach arrive at our house to install new fibre external connection. Unfortunately we were not at the house as we were not aware they would be turning up out of the blue . Anyway, we found that they went ahead and installed the connection on the wrong side of the house in the kitchen where the sink is ..
I presume sky engineer will just want to make a straight hole through into the house. In which case I think it needs to be moved .? 

IMG_0762.jpeg

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Open reach Fibre install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wrighty70 

A fibre pigtail can run around the outside of the property to a more suitable entry point if you wish, as long as there's access and it's within certain distance limits.

Openreach typically locates the CSP (that external enclosure) as close as possible to their street infrastructure.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by sgtwuzzie1090 This message was authored by: sgtwuzzie1090

Applied for the Sky super fibre following a call from Sky, made an appointment for 15th July 2024. Engineer failed to turn up. Contacted Sky and received a somewhat patronising apology and arranged a second visit on the 24  July 2024and the engineer from Openreach turned up. I detailed where I wanted to have the router installed and received the 'tut, tut" (that any motor salesman would have been proud of) 'I cannot fit it there it is not cost effective you will have to find another rea and make a further appointment'.

anogher appointment made for 1st August, guess yes the Openreach engineer did not show. Contacted Sky, first call 37 minutes and I was cut off, the second call was more helpful and I now have an appointment for 15thAugust. (Hopefully).

whist the loss of three days waiting was bad enough

(removed)

they appear not to give Openreach engineers telephones to call you to advise they would not be there.

the whole service is a disgrace. A joke.

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sgtwuzzie1090 wrote:

I detailed where I wanted to have the router installed and received the 'tut, tut" (that any motor salesman would have been proud of) 'I cannot fit it there it is not cost effective you will have to find another rea and make a further appointment'.

Openreach is attempting to carry out something over 60,000 FTTP activations per week, and installers do have limits on where an ONT can go, based both on distance from the CSP and the time that any individual job will take.

Wrighty70
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wrighty70 This message was authored by: Wrighty70

Thanks for your comment, I understand the concept but it doesn't really appeal to us

Cable having to run at low level over the front door back down again. Just doesn't sound great .

@Wrighty70 wrote:

Cable having to run at low level over the front door back down again. Just doesn't sound great .

Depending on where the incoming drop cable is coming from, that's going to happen anyway.  As in my answer to @sgtwuzzie1090, Openreach has distinct limits on how far it can comply with customer desires before the national rollout starts falling behind time and going over budget.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion