Discussion topic: ONT has Red Fault Light

This message was authored by Tinyjf This message was authored by: Tinyjf

ONT has Red Fault Light

I have just moved into a new property and my broadband was activated remotely a couple of days ago. This fault light has been red since we moved in. Our new sky broadband seems to be working fine though. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong? - thanks in advance

61FCD82E-1C86-4ED5-BFEF-BF7321C64074.jpeg

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: ONT has Red Fault Light

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tinyjf 

I believe it means the battery backup unit is low on battery. Not sure on responsibility for replacing as openreach no longer supply the ont with a bbu

@TimmyBGood is it best to by pass the bbu?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Tinyjf 

@TimmyBGood is it best to by pass the bbu?

The BBU has no useful function by itself because it doesn't (and cannot) supply power to the ISP router: it was intended to be used in a deployment scenario where telephony was handled by the ONT, but that never happened.  I guess if the router is provided with a UPS by the user then the BBU might be considered beneficial because its  extra power storage should extend run-time.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/openreach-to-stop-providing-battery-backup-for-fttp-br... 

Certainly should be possible to reconnect the units inside that enclosure to take the BBU out of use entirely.  The wall socket power supply would need to go directly into the ONT.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tinyjf @cookiemonsteruk 

Incidentally the Openreach 'factsheet' on that ONT/BBU combination is here (.pdf) :

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/news-and-opinion/articles...

It presumably wouldn't be impossible to unplug everything, dismount the large enclosure with the BBU and then remount just the ONT, but that's probably frowned-upon.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion