Discussion topic: No Internet (again!)

This message was authored by -NigelM This message was authored by: -NigelM

No Internet (again!)

Our Sky Ultra Fast BB with Wi-Fi guarantee has not been stable since switching to Sky from BT.

I currently dont have any internet which obviously means no wi-fi.  We decided to get Sky Glass at the same time.  Being a so called VIP cusotmer with over 12 years with Sky I assumed all would be well.  Sky Glass is great, if you have an internet connection.

I have had Sky Tech Experts in my house, BT Openreach have been 4 or 5 times and still 'no internet'.

I have another engineer visit booked but the date is 'TBC' adn I have been advised they have 72 hours to respond.  

meantime we have no internet, no tv and tetherring off my phone for work - fun and games!

#consideringmyoptions...

Nigel

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: No Internet (again!)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@-NigelM 

Did you have the same form of broadband when you were with BT?

Is this Ultrafast over FTTP ('full fibre') or G.fast (copper)?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
-NigelM
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  I did indeed, that same with BT, I left BT becaue they couldnt fix it.

its g-fast, no fibre available, only to the cab.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@-NigelM wrote:

I left BT becaue they couldnt fix it.

OK: wouldn't that be a clue?

Sky will be using exactly the same physical connection from the G.fast 'pod' to your address as BT did, so any issue there will remain in place.

'VIP' status with Sky (or any similar loyalty schemes run by other ISPs) can make no difference to the level of service and support that an ISP gets from Openreach.

This message was authored by Frustrateduser0 This message was authored by: Frustrateduser0

same here.  No internet.   Never experienced this level of poor service with Sky.  We've been loyal over 20 years and have just cancelled both TV and broadband.  There are cheaper and better services elsewhere

@Frustrateduser0 wrote:

There are cheaper and better services elsewhere

Again, if the issue is with the Openreach connection then any other Openreach ISP will inherit it.  That's the way the national UK broadband distribution system is set up.

-NigelM
Topic Author

indeed it is a clue - I have had new cables from the pole to my house, apparantly I had old style of cabe (not twisted pair) and that helped for a few weeks in that it was stable for the longest period yet.

the issue appears to be with openreach so hopefully they get to the bottom of it.  My so VIP status counts for nothing, I get that - sounds good though!

@-NigelM 

Unfortunately the only alternative I can think of is to wait for Sky to offer early exit with no penalty (which they are likely to do if a fault persists) and then order FTTC from an ISP which doesn't resell G.fast: very few do these days.  That would at least put your connection back on the local fibre cabinet rather than a G.fast pod (so lower potential speed, but perhaps better stability)

-NigelM
Topic Author

openreach did say to downgrade off the g-fast as its 'problematic' if it continues but not sure a downgrade is the answer either.  Sky have already said I can leave without penalty, its been going on for months.

If I could find any ISP that can provide a stable connection I will gladly move again.  I think virgin dont use BT I'll do some digging, for now, the saga continues...

@-NigelM wrote:

openreach did say to downgrade off the g-fast as its 'problematic' if it continues but not sure a downgrade is the answer either. 

If the issue is at the pod then it should be a solution.

Sky have already said I can leave without penalty, its been going on for months.

Again, that's probably a clue...

If I could find any ISP that can provide a stable connection I will gladly move again.  I think virgin dont use BT I'll do some digging, for now, the saga continues...

Virgin Media typically uses its own private coaxial cable distribution (being originally a 'cable television' company), and not the national Openreach telecoms network.  However this means such a Virgin broadband service is only available if they have deployed that cable distribution in the area.

-NigelM
Topic Author

Openreach have 'reset my ports' and I'm back up - for now! 🤞

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion