Discussion topic: New Sky Max Hub install joined an existing network?

This message was authored by ash1210 This message was authored by: ash1210

New Sky Max Hub install joined an existing network?

Documenting my experience this morning here in case it has happened to anyone else and can save them some debugging time. It's a weird one!

We've been having internet problems with our old provider so was provided a 4G Mini Hub which was running things like our Alexa's etc until the Sky activation day.

I switched the Max Hub on after receiving the confirmation we were live and was greeted by a flashing orange light which then went solid white, all good I thought. Then when running speed tests on devices plugged into the Max Hub via Ethernet, the speed was limited to around 30 Mbps instead of the expected 900 Mbps and I noticed the IP Address was showing as BT. Going to 192.168.1.1 (which showed as the default gateway) brought up the EE Mini Hub admin panel.

It seems that the Max Hub had meshed with the Mini Hub connection somehow and was serving that connection to my devices connected to the Sky Max Hub. By unplugging the EE Mini Hub and restarting the Sky Max Hub, I then got the correct green flashing light to white, full speeds and Sky IP address.

Not sure how that's possible but if you are experiencing the same, and have another active network in the house, maybe check similar isn't happening to you.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: New Sky Max Hub install joined an existing network?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ash1210 what I think happens is to assist the installation the Sky hub connects to a limited connection initially which following confirmation from Openreach is reconfigured to your full bandwidth typically within an hour or so,. If your hub doesnt offer the full bandwidth givecSky a call but test speeds over ethernetvratger than WiFi if possible

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

Do you  have sky gigafast broadband, fttp, which  is  the only way you will  get 900mps , I have had it installed  since  January  this year  and have had no problems  with  my  broadband 

ash1210
Topic Author
This message was authored by ash1210 This message was authored by: ash1210

I do yeah, no problem with the Sky service itself was just a bit of a gotcha when it first turned on and wouldn't get above 30 Mbps while showing an ip address assigned to BT.

since I turned off the EE Mini Hub and restarted the Sky Max Hub it's been perfect

Just thought I'd leave a note here in case someone is experiencing the same and searching for a solution as it wasn't immediately obvious what was happening 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ash1210  Good bit of information to know thank you.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion