Discussion topic: My account address

This message was authored by Ian+Colin+C+oope This message was authored by: Ian+Colin+C+oope

My account address

hello  Help , when logging on to a new site, for shopping ect, the site tells me that my address is another town, and shows up as a google map of that area, I have asked sky three times for an answer and still nothing,  looking at new provider, any advice would be most welcome.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: My account address

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Some websites use your Internet's public IP address as an indication of your location.

IP addresses are assigned to you automatically by your broadband service provider and don't always reflect your location exactly. It's not a fault or an error, It's simply the way they're,intended to work. A decent website will give you the opportunity to confirm your address e en if It's different from the location indicated by your broadband connection.

If you turn off your broadband router for a while - say 30 minutes - you may well be assigned a different public IP address which reflects your location more accurately.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Some websites use your Internet's public IP address as an indication of your location.

IP addresses are assigned to you automatically by your broadband service provider and don't always reflect your location exactly. It's not a fault or an error, It's simply the way they're,intended to work. A decent website will give you the opportunity to confirm your address e en if It's different from the location indicated by your broadband connection.

If you turn off your broadband router for a while - say 30 minutes - you may well be assigned a different public IP address which reflects your location more accurately.

Ian+Colin+C+oope
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ian+Colin+C+oope This message was authored by: Ian+Colin+C+oope

Thankyou very much for this  any help is good help, will do as you say.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion