Discussion topic: Moved into a new home

This message was authored by LouiseNeedsomemil This message was authored by: LouiseNeedsomemil

Moved into a new home

Hi I moved into a new build home built by David Wilson homes and the built in ethernet cable but it does not work even though everything is plugged in and I don't know how to work the built in ethernet system so was wondering if anyone was able to help with this.

16788318686738725624593617450231.jpg

 this is the built in ethernet 2 ethernet ports and 2 phone ports yet I don't know how to connect them if anyone could help I would be most grateful 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Moved into a new home

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LouiseNeedsomemil 

What are you trying to achieve?

Nothing happens without a Sky Hub (and a live Sky Broadband service for the address, typically 'Ultrafast').  If you want to have the Hub located somewhere other than next to that Openreach ONT then you need to identify where the other end of one of those ethernet cables is, and then link between ONT ethernet port, wall port, corresponding far-end wall port and Hub WAN port using ethernet patch leads.  The 'phone' wall ports are effectively irrelevant to modern telephony because any landline telephone or DECT base plugs directly into the ISP router.

Unfortunately housebuilders seem to think that randomly installing ethernet (and pointless phone extension cabling) is a value-add without really knowing what they are doing: neglecting to label the wall ports is a bit of a clue about that.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion