Discussion topic: Mini box not working as a hotspot

This message was authored by Newlandl This message was authored by: Newlandl

Mini box not working as a hotspot

My SkyQ was setup previously with the router and main Q box in the living room and then a mini box connected via an Ethernet cable to a part of the house that has zero wifi signal. The mini box then acted as a WiFi access point in that area.

since upgrading to the Max router yesterday my mini box is no longer rebroadcasting the wifi from the router and has instead created another network (confirmed as it disappears when the box is switched off) that I can't access and don't have the password for.

tried resetting network connections and reconnecting to the main Q box already. The main Q box also doesn't have any option to switch on or off the hotspot for the mini box.

the significant change has been the router

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Mini box not working as a hotspo

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Newlandl unfortunately the Q wifi mesh is not compatable with the new routers so you lose the use of the WiFi hot spots as you have found. Sky recommend getting the extender pods that come as part of the Wifi Max bundle to replace them.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Mini box not working as a hotspot

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Newlandl 

Any other wireless access point would also work on the end of an ethernet cable: personally I use cheap TP-Link hardware in that role.  What you don't want to deploy is a second router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion