Discussion topic: Minefield - New Modem/Router, FTTC Ultrafast

This message was authored by Mgo1974 This message was authored by: Mgo1974

Minefield - New Modem/Router, FTTC Ultrafast

Hi

I've read endless posts today given I am looking to replace an SR204 Sky Hub with a combined third party modem/router solution. 

I have seen options from Asus and TP-Link and whilst I can see VDSL compatibility I can't see anything that confirms the same for what is defined as GFast I believe. 

Models I have looked at-

ASUS DSL AX82U

TP- Link AX5400 VDSL Mesh

Per the heading I am on FTTC @ 145mbps. FTTP is not scheduled in this area yet. 

Does anyone have any solutions hardware wise that might help me, without having to use a separate modem?

Thanks in advance. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Minefield - New Modem/Router, FTTC Ultrafast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mgo1974 

The asus dsl ac88u is the only combined dsl/g.fast modem router around at the minute 

ASUS DSL-AC88U AC3100 Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router, Upto 18x Speed than VDSL2, USB 3.0 for LTE/3G Connection, Media Server for (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) - Black https://amzn.eu/d/bWJmork

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Mgo1974
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mgo1974 This message was authored by: Mgo1974

Thanks, I will check it out and assume it's compatible with Sky, and relatively ok to set up? 

Next question is about speed - the connection maxes out at about 145mbps from the router, yet into the property it is 330mbps. Is that a limitation of Sky's kit, and would a third party router allow the benefit of the better performance? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mgo1974 wrote:

Thanks, I will check it out and assume it's compatible with Sky, and relatively ok to set up? 

If i recall i have only come across the asus dsl ac88u been used once and it seemed straight forward enough

Next question is about speed - the connection maxes out at about 145mbps from the router, yet into the property it is 330mbps. Is that a limitation of Sky's kit, and would a third party router allow the benefit of the better performance? 

That is the maximum speed g.fast can attain but sky only retails 150Mbps. So the asus will not make a significant difference to the line speed. You are paying more for the gaming functions

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion