Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping on PC only

This message was authored by cookie3family This message was authored by: cookie3family

Internet keeps dropping on PC only

Hello, 

I recently switched to Sky from Virgin in December 2023 and I average internet restarts on PC only about 10+ times a day every day. No other device has this issue just my PC.

The PC is connected via ethernet all other devices are wifi. There is nothing wrong with the cable, as the cable was previously used with Virgin and had no issues with them for over 5+ years.

My PC is up to date, I have recently reinstalled the network drives but nothing is working. 

As I type this my connection has dropped 3 times in 10 mins, since 10:30 I have had 6 drops already which is higher than normal. I have just searched on my phone and tablet and they are loading pages fine, yet PC is not.

Any ideas.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Internet keeps dropping on PC only

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cookie3family 

Sounds like the cable to me. Have you tried a different one?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
cookie3family
Topic Author
This message was authored by cookie3family This message was authored by: cookie3family

I thought that as it is a long cable from router to pc (goes around the room) however I tried my laptop on a shorter cable and it was still doing it.

@cookie3family 

Can you please post your router stats

I am NOT a Sky Employee
cookie3family
Topic Author

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 200:26:49

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN WANoE 204929753 522854974 0 326526 8162713 200:25:02 LAN Up 193099205 90522266 46 8115707 306210 200:26:49 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 27171229 3007114 0 6261 1529 200:25:11 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 262848472 27791982 0 0 0 200:25:10

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 549900 kbps 75000 kbps
cookie3family
Topic Author

If this helps better (its valid for 1 month)

https://ibb.co/KskY5jt 

@cookie3family 

It is hard to blame the router in this scenario as the stats show a LAN uptime of 200hrs which matches the uptime of the router itself. This would suggest the LAN side of the router is stable but either the cable or end point device is not. 

Could you maybe show a screenshot of the ethernet status on your PC when it drops? Also maybe run a continuous ping test and see if that drops out. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
cookie3family
Topic Author

Will do,

Over 1min I had an average of 10.8 ping, the lowest was 8, highest was 17. There was no drop in internet during that time.

@cookie3family 

That suggests there is nothing wrong with the connection so how exactly is the internet 'dropping'?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
cookie3family
Topic Author

Since then I have bought a new ethernet cable and still happens. Plugged the cable into two laptops and my PC and still happens. As I type this my PC has no internet via Ethernet as the trouble shooting says Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration. 

This is really weird as nothing has changed from the time I was with Virgin and now. This issue has only happened since being with Sky.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@cookie3family On the rear of the router there are 4 Ethernet ports, Wan - ONT would be on port 4, PC connected to one of the other ports if you only have 2 cables connected, Have you tried moving the PC ethernet connection to one of the other free ports and still get the same issue.

The router log is normally good at seeing the port drop or not being used so look at the log file to see if anything shows, to check unplug the PC ethernet, wait a few seconds, replug the connection and check again the log file, that will show you the typical message for lan port off/on status.

If you have more than the 2 cables on the router or using switch etc give also these details.

Also log in to your router and check the Ethernet Setup, Type Gigabit and Efficency Disabled.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion