Discussion topic: Internet keeps cutting out on a regular basis

This message was authored by Andyg1970 This message was authored by: Andyg1970

Re: Internet keeps cutting out on a regular basis

Hi,

Recent convert to sky broadband (last week from BT)

I have Sky Q, and 3 mini boxes as well as one repeater box.

I'm experiencing 2 types of issue:

1. occasional drop outs - not sure if its a brief internet outage or if its an intermittent internal issue from the sky router to the rest of the house.

2, Connectivity to one or 2 of the sky minis is very sketchy.

Didn't have these problems when with BT, so am curious to find out if there's a config hack to help me improve my local network/mesh between all these sky boxes.

If there's a good guide to setting up a local sky mesh, then i'd be very happy to try that out.

Pasting in my stats below if that helps.

Andyg1970_0-1701687268785.png

cheers

Andrew

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andyg1970 the stats show that the connection to the cabinet has been up for 65 hours so the issue is probably with your home network. First point if your Q boxes including the Q minis are losing connection thst will mean devices near them will lose connection as they will be connected to the Q mini's wifi.

The best thing is to try and improve the Mini's backhaul connection to the hub. Sky will either send you out a booster if you have issues or arrange for an engineer to come out. I am escalating your post to a Sky team who supports the forum as calling Sky is a pain in the run up to Christmas hopefully thry can help. Look out for a message inviting you onto a chat through thecforum where a chat icon should appear.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Phillipc1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Phillipc1 This message was authored by: Phillipc1

Thank you for your advice much appreciated 🙏 

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We are closing this session now but if there is anything else in the future we can help you with, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

Thanks, Having waited beyon the 10 day activation/profile optimization, I can say that there is still quite a noticeable dorp off of performance compared to my old BT connection.

I believe you when you say the internet to the router is fine, so this leaves the wi-fi aroun d the house back to the router which is not quite as good as the old BT system.

As mentioned, we have a brand new sky router, a sqy q box, 3 mini-boxes and a booster.

I thought this would be plenty to ensure high quality connection back to the router.

But I have three outstanding issues:

1. my phone (pixel) and tablet (samsung) never record a full-wifi strength, allways the notch below full.

2. my family all use iPhones and iPads, and the connectivity with these is even worse, lots of spinnning icons waiting for pages to load in mail and in browsers

3. one of my sky minis has a very patchy reception back to the sky box, lots of drop outs

do i need an extra booster or 2, or is there some config thats needed ?

why do the apples devices seem to suffer more than others ?

thanks in advance

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andyg1970 wrote:

As mentioned, we have a brand new sky router, a sqy q box, 3 mini-boxes and a booster.

I thought this would be plenty to ensure high quality connection back to the router.

do i need an extra booster or 2, or is there some config thats needed ?

Now Sky is the ISP, all the Sky devices (including the television boxes) are presumably 'meshing', but Q is essentially 2016-vintage hardware and nowhere near as effective as current mesh hardware.   Given you've already got six Sky nodes, having additional units would probably be more likely to make things worse.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Hi @Addie15 , I've just added an update in this thread, can you let me know if we need to re-run any tests to get this matter resolved, as at the moment the wifi within the house is starting to become a problem for the family, and I really don't want to have to change providers again

Phillipc1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Phillipc1 This message was authored by: Phillipc1

There's no point in running any tests you'll still get the same problem I was paying £40 a month fir a service I wasn't getting they knew my service wasn't great but they still took the payment at the end of the day they just don't care they just want your money !! well I'm not sky anymore good riddance I counciled yesterday!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion