Discussion topic: Internet drops out after voice light turns orange

This message was authored by Fenderbender22 This message was authored by: Fenderbender22

Internet drops out after voice light turns orange

I'm really fed up with ringing sky about this issue. About a month ago I had two straight weeks of my connection dropping out 20-40 times a day and I work from home providing remote technical support which just makes my job impossible to do.

It went off to openreach who didn't ever provide what was actually fixed but the issue went away until a couple of days ago when my connection started to drop again. 

I don't even have a phone connected to my router which sky seems surprised that I'm getting a green voice light but cannot explain why and just say that's strange. 

I spoke to someone today who said they've checked the line at it seems ok so there's nothing they can do and can't send out an engineer. He told me to install the MySky app and then use the test my broadband test when the connection drops which I did but it says everything is ok for the first two tests and then fails on the last one saying oops something that didn't work as seen below. 

48D79186-1B1D-464C-BF49-D412DB847773.png

1AF753E7-0D60-44F0-9F92-BFE83A558F96.png

I'm not sure gore long exactly it takes for it to come back on but it's a long time and so I have to reset the router every time this happens. 

I also have sky glass so this is also stopping me from being able to watch anything. 

I'm at my wits end. 

All Replies

Fenderbender22
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fenderbender22 This message was authored by: Fenderbender22

Re: Internet drops out after voice light turns orange

Apologies about the typo's I'm getting used to iOS being an android user for so long the autocorrect is taking longer to adjust to me haha.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fenderbender22 It sounds like a possible hub fault if the line is resting as clear or failing thst an issue at Sky's end eithercway you need Sky's help so I am escalating your post to a team who should be in touch offering a online chat through the forum. Look out for a chat button appearing on the forum pages.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thank you for escalating this. We have sent Fenderbender22 an invite to chat 🙂 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by nirishdaisy This message was authored by: nirishdaisy

Did you get anywhere with this.  I am having the same problems.  Fed up ringing Sky, had openreach out, but of course it works for about half an hour.   Can't take much more of this.  Certainly wouldn't recommend.

Fenderbender22
Topic Author

@nirishdaisy Turns out my connection from the ONT box to the router was in the wrong port (1) and should be in port 4 with WAN above it. Hopefully this solves my issue as it's been several hours and no dropouts yet 🤞

This message was authored by nirishdaisy This message was authored by: nirishdaisy

@Fenderbender22   Just checked mine - it's in Port 4.  Had that cable changed today by openreach.

Hope yours keeps working for you.  Still haven't got the sky box connected.  Everytime I try it knocks everything else out.  Fed up now!!!

Fenderbender22
Topic Author

@nirishdaisy Just droped out again 😩

I'm at my wits end with this.  Since yesterdays visit with openreach it has dropped 10 times.  That's not the service I'm paying for.

This message was authored by RCV8206 This message was authored by: RCV8206

Unfortunate this issue seems to be quite wide spread with no acknowledgment from Sky. See other post https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Voice-light-goes-amber-frequently/td-p/3760012/page/9

i now use a third party router and no longer have drop outs which would suggest to me that the issue is at Sky's end

@Fenderbender22  I just don't know what to say.  ☹️

@RCV8206  Thank you for your reply.  I really am at my wits end with this.  From 3pm yesterday to 9am this morning it cut out 12 times.   Every time I've to go over all devices and make sure they're connected again.  Sky are a joke.  I want my old broadband back.  Can't watch Netflix either.

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  
Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation. 
Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - We have looked into this with nirishdaisy and found that after calling in earlier today an adviser has escalated the case to the Network team

This message was authored by Digitaljunior This message was authored by: Digitaljunior

There is something fundimentally wrong at SKY with so many customers reporting the VOIP amber light.

Personally we have had a two new SKY routers,  three new ethernet cables, a new Openreach white box and still have the issue.  Openreach engineer found no issues when onsite on Monday and said light quality is excellent.

I have spent about 10hours on the phone now with SKY and some of the high end network team who says it is when the SKY router is obtaining a new IP address and gets stuck.

Come on SKY this needs fixing as we are paying £40-£50 a month for a service worse than copper fibre broadband.

(...I'm whispering just in case ...)  Could I have fixed it myself?  Probably too early to tell but after a day of total frustration, on the phone with two different people (first one cut off and they didn't ring back), I have had an hour, yes a whole hour, of internet.  What did I do - discovered the black sky hub was on an extension lead, got it plugged in at the wall now and so far so good.  Oh, and we've even got Netflix working!! 

The Openreach guy did say when he installed it to make sure their connection was to the wall not extension lead but didn't mention the sky box.  I'll report back tomorrow - in case this helps someone else.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion