Discussion topic: Incompatible Cable Sent with Hub

This message was authored by Hannah-C This message was authored by: Hannah-C

Incompatible Cable Sent with Hub

Hi

Our Sky Q Hub was sent with one ethernet cable.  Unfortunately, my open reach box only has an RJ45 socket avaiable.  I bought an adapter from Wilkos and a micro-ethernet or whatever their name is to plug it into the purple port on the router.

Not sure if it's going to work - the other option I have is to buy a cable from B&Q where it is an RJ45 one end and a BT/ethernet on the other.

The Openreach engineer is arriving today at 2pm - couldn't get any advice from them.

Has anyone had a similar experience and bought their own cable to fix it?

Thanks in adance

Hannah

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Incompatible Cable Sent with Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hannah-C 

Sounds like you are getting fttp where the ethernet from the ont

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

 Plugs into lan port 4 on the router

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Hannah-C 

Are you sure its a sky q hub the horizontal model or the sr203 vertical model. ?

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Hannah-C
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hannah-C This message was authored by: Hannah-C

Thank you for your replies - second guessing what broadband I have now so I have attached pictures.  Will the engineer install a socket for the Ethernet cable I got to go into?

CE71B3B7-9E23-4F7A-B2D8-2B207306B1A2.jpeg

1A4BE742-A551-499D-95B5-2BA372FE986D.jpeg

@Hannah-C 

If this is a fibre to the premise install the image above takes over from the mastersocket 

What speed have you requested?

Could you enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hannah-C wrote:

Unfortunately, my open reach box only has an RJ45 socket avaiable. 

RJ45 is ethernet.  The data connection on a prefiltered master / microfilter is RJ11, which looks like a scaled-down R45, and the relevant cable to the Hub is RJ11 to RJ11.  As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, if your 'open reach box' is an ONT (or you are getting one) then ethernet is applicable but you'd need a Sky Broadband Hub, not a Q Hub.

rj45-vs-rj11.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hannah-C wrote:

Thank you for your replies - second guessing what broadband I have now so I have attached pictures.  Will the engineer install a socket for the Ethernet cable I got to go into?

CE71B3B7-9E23-4F7A-B2D8-2B207306B1A2.jpeg

1A4BE742-A551-499D-95B5-2BA372FE986D.jpeg

That's a Sky Broadband Hub and an Openreach socket without a built-in filter, so using a microfilter.  An RJ11 to RJ11 cable (probably the black one shown there) is relevant unless you are getting FTTP installed, at which point all connectivity is via an ONT and that wall box becomes obsolete.

@TimmyBGood 

Reference to ethernet makes me think conversion kit for fttp otherwise no need to send out ethernet

@cookiemonsteruk 

Quite possibly.  I do wish Sky would actually tell people what form of connectivity they are getting, rather than the generic 'an Openreach engineer may be required'.

@Hannah-C wrote:

The Openreach engineer is arriving today at 2pm - couldn't get any advice from them.

Basically we think this means you are getting an FTTP ('full fibre') installation which will include having an ONT ('fibre modem') fitted, and the ethernet cable will go between the RJ45 socket on that and the WAN ethernet socket on the Sky Broadband Hub.  Note you will need to consent to some drilling.

How to set up your Sky Broadband Hub with fibre to the premises (FTTP) - Sky Help 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion